Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Think You're Having a Bad Day???

Today seemed full of promise, until I turned my alarm off and stayed in bed much longer than I intended. There were many things to accomplish and by the time I managed to pull myself from out of the covers at 6am, I felt most of the day had passed me by. After pouring my first cup of coffee, I set out once again to search for a missing Teacher Plan Book from last year that I really need right now. I presume it is misboxed with "unnecessary" school items in the attic, but I still feel the need to repeatedly search the "necessary" school item boxes in the study. No planner. Isaac was up early. Things started to appear a bit gray when I laid him on his changing table to change his diaper and discovered the reason for his early wakening. As I attempted to dispose of the terribly dirty diaper in the Diaper Champ, it somehow exploded and I wound up cleaning up poop off the Champ and off me. In the process of doing this, I managed to step on a bottle of diaper rash cream that Isaac had dropped off the changing table. Because I was already in my exercise clothes, I had on tennis shoes and the hard step caused the bottle to explode as well. Have you ever tried cleaning diaper rash cream out of your new Frieze carpet? Next to impossible. Isaac's morning bottle and our morning jaunt were relatively uneventful, with the exception of the rude driver honking at me in an annoyed fashion because I dared cross the street when given the appropriate walk signal, thus impeding his ability to turn left. Sorry, dude. When it came time for Isaac's morning nap, I went through our nap routine as usual and laid him down to drift into sweet slumber. Then the crying began and continued on and on. Isaac is getting another tooth on the opposite side of his first tooth (he is going for the fang look, I suppose) and the gums were hurting too much to sleep. After several failed attempts to get him settled, I got him up and switched on a Baby Einstein. This eased the pain, but he wanted me to either hold him or be right next to him during his movie time. After watching dancing shark puppets and a fascinating train scene, I was able to lay Isaac down to sleep about an hour and 1/2 after his normal time. I then proceed to jump through the shower, with hopes of being in "normal" clothes before noon. I sat down in the living room to dry my hair and fix my make-up, anticipating catching up on part of a Food Network Special I had taped the night before. Silly me forgot the fact that the times posted on the Food Network website are Eastern Standard and I managed to record only the last 5 minutes of Ina Garten's Chefography. I woke-up Isaac for lunch (I know, I know...never wake a sleeping baby). He has a new trick of offering me every toy he seems to think tastes good for my sampling pleasure. Today he felt the need to share his cut-up carrots with me. I hate cooked carrots, but felt the need to play this game to teach him how to share and to promote healthy eating habits. Some carrots I managed to swallow whole and escape most of their unpleasant taste.

By 1pm I was thinking, "This day has been crazy and I feel like I haven't accomplished one thing." I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, when I realized that things could be much, much worse. I could be Sean Preston Spears Federline.

8 comments:

Amy C said...

You are super woman. 6am, really, I do good to be conscious 30 minutes before my kids walk out the door for school. What a day! You gotta hate those! Especially if you got up that early to start one.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

that is too funny! even worse, you could be K-fed's baby #4.

Unknown said...

Poor Sean. I'm sure that position in his illegal forward facing carseat doesn't help the head trauma he is recovering from.

Phillips Family said...

What really concerns me is the fact that Sean P. is incredibly slumped over in the direct sun. We have the same car seat and it is impossible for isaac to be slumped over like that because it has a 5 pt. harness......this leads me to believe that BritBrit doesn't understand the fine art of restraining a child in a car seat. But hey, at least she had time to put rollars in her hair.

Shanta said...

Ok, I'm dying to know what time the alarm was set for...Lynley, please come over anytime and let me teach you how to be lazy. It's really quite fun.

Phillips Family said...

5:15am.....

Unknown said...

Poor Sean Preston F......he looks like he is baking in the sun! Hopefully he and his future sibling can stick together and make it through their crazy childhood together. After reading about your day I definitely think you got more done in one morning than I get done all week long!

Unknown said...

I hadn't even thought of baking in the sun, but I don't think Miss Brit cares about that since he was all red in the face during her visit to pool in Las Vegas recently. At least all these things she is doing is causing some much needed media attention for carseat safety.