Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why "Save the Phillips"?

Over the years (Perhaps we should pause and recognize the fact that I have officially been blogging for years. Let us not think about how great my house might look had I not been spending quite so much time typing out silly stories.) people have asked as to why we named our little spot in the world wide web, "Save the Phillips Family"

When Isaac was just a few weeks old, Tobe and I created this blog as a way for friends and family to watch our baby grow. As we sat at the computer that night, likely sleep-deprived, we thought of names for our little blog. Somehow I came up with "Save the Phillips Family," a name that made me giggle uncontrollably, likely because it sounded like some sub-culture movement to better the earth.

Years later, I still giggle every time I open my Blogger dashboard and see "Save the Phillips" in bold letters at the top. Although this title invokes laughter most days, it carries with it a bit of meaning and truth.

Honestly, who doesn't need saving every once and a while?

We all need a little saving, even over here at casa de phillips....saving from ourselves, saving from materialism, saving from a sibling's jealous hand, saving from competitive mothering, saving from the ice cream sitting in the freezer, saving from the children who seem to know the moment a bathroom is entered in search of privacy, saving from the allergy season which will not end, saving from the false truths of the media, saving from having to endure one more Presidential debate. Just saving in general.

This little blog has saved me more than once on those days when I question who really thought it was a good idea to put me in charge of two little people and their world. I have reconnected and met people through this blogspot that I likely would have never had the chance to communicate with otherwise. I have been able to share my journey of being a mommy with readers who can relate or guide me along a better path. What a blessing.

Thanks for saving our little family on occasion. Hopefully we can return the favor one day.

Now that you know the history behind http://www.savethephillipsfamily.blogspot.com/, share the story of how you came upon your blog's name. There are some great ones out there and I often wonder as to where such a title originated.

(By the way, if you have ever looked back in our archives you might notice that blogging begins once Isaac is three months old, not when he was a newborn. After Tobe and I set up our blog that first night, we forgot the password information. That original post is lost somewhere in the vast Internet. I did not revisit the blog until the fog of sleep deprivation cleared and Isaac was sleeping through the night.)

5 comments:

The Binkley Family said...

I have to say, I have always wondered about your title...so I am glad you told us!

Ours is probably obvious....Grow Where You Are Planted...because the blog came about during the transition of our move to our lovely small town, which I was not handling well. But I decided, I had to put down roots and grow where God had sent me whether or not I wanted to...

Kelly said...

What a great post. I had wondered about your blog title, and now I know. Great idea, and it has been fun getting to know you via the blog. Surely we'll actually run into each other out in the real world someday. :)

My blog title (30...Really?) came as I created the blog a few months before my 30th birthday. Even 2+ years later, it's hard for me to believe that I'm a 30-something.

Unknown said...

My bloggy name - Welcome to my world janmary - it came from the comment of "welcome to my world" when by dh is commenting (complaining) about a problem with something around the house or for the kids which is usually part of my routine. I like to remind him that this is what my life is like - every day!

The janmary - just my on-line name :)

Unknown said...

Mine came from the Indigo Girls Song of the same name, Get out the Map. I love to look at maps and love to plan trips, even those that we never seem to make it on.

I also love the idea that life is a journey, and we see a small piece of it like a mapsco page while God has the entire map and knows where our journey will head.

Unknown said...

I like hearing how you came up with your blog title! Mine is totally unoriginal and needs no explanation since it is just our names. I want to change it, but I haven't ever come up with anything exciting. Any suggestions?