Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Thursday's Tasty Tidbits

There are quite a few random thoughts floating in my head today, so I thought I would create a hodgepodge blog. Here goes:

Has anyone noticed my super-cool map on the left of the blog page? Who knew so many people read this blog? However, I cannot figure out how to zoom in on the map and tell exactly where readers are specifically from. DKDFW, can you help us with this? I find it quite fascinating that people across the country have stumbled across these musings about Isaac and our family. I have called Tobe almost daily to keep him posted on the number of hits the blog has received. So you anonymous readers, check in, say "hello", leave a witty comment. Those readers who read this blog simply to steal my identity (apparently this was an episode of CSI), let me warn you that I am the most paranoid person in the world and we keep very close and detailed check on all things related to the Phillips' household. Go find another blog for your wiley ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday night found us huddled around the television, munching on Papa John's, cheering for our favorite movie icons. I missed part of the show because I was bathing Isaac and putting him down for the night and then because I fell asleep, however I do have some opinions regarding winners and losers. First, a big congratulations to Reese Witherspoon. I have loved her since Man in the Moon. I was fearful Felicity Huffman would get the Oscar for her role in Transamerica due to the controversial nature of her performance. Glad to see that the Academy appreciated the portrayal of June Carter over the other performances. I am also very glad to see that Crash won for best movie. I was rooting for Walk the Line, but felt like it didn't have enough of an "artsy" feel to be awarded the Oscar. However, it is an EXCELLENT movie and I suggest everyone take the time to watch it. Crash was my second choice. I love movies and stories in which a wide cast of characters are loosely connected (ex. LOST) and the viewer at home gets to watch as this connection unfolds. I felt like Crash dealt with the theme of racism in an untraditional way, looking at it's roots in every race, color, and creed. Most importantly I was glad that Brokeback Mountain did not win. Some people rooted against this movie due to it's subject matter. Not me. I rooted against it based on the principal that Jenn Linley and Audrey are co-stars of this film. Many of you are racking your brains, attempting to figure out of whom I am speaking. Others of you are singing "I don't wanna wait..." in your head as you see the Dawson's Creek gang jumping off the pier, laughing and using words only found on the SAT. Dawson's Creek refresher course: Jenn Linley (AKA Michelle Williams, girlfriend to Heath Leadger) was in the original cast of Dawson's Creek and died in the final episode of cancer. Audrey was Joey's (AKA Katie Holmes) roommate at college and ended up dating Pacey. I cannot root for a movie that has former Dawson's Creek cast members in it. Also, I am so tired of every radio station playing the "I can't quit you" drop from Brokeback.

One final Oscars note--when Charlize Theron's stylist approached her with that dress with the large black bow on the shoulder how did she not fire that person on the spot? That was the worst dress of the evening. I also imagine it blocked her peripheral vision on that side of her body, thus causing her to turn her whole body at an odd angle to speak to others sitting next to her.

Finally, I love Dolly Parton. However, didn't like her song for Transamerica AT ALL! I could have written that song and I have no song-writing abilities in me. She should have just sang 9 to 5 and hoped no one noticed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you take Rolling Stone magazine, I suggest you read the article on the Church of Scientology. I found it to be fascinating. The article was neither pro-Scientology or against it, rather it simply stated facts about this religion (is it considered a religion?). Some points of interest were that only those individuals who are very high up in this order have knowledge of all the fundamentals of the Church of Scientology. The article said this would be like if the Catholic Church kept the idea that Christ died for our sins a secret from all it's members, with the exception of an elite few (which they don't, obviously). Also, there is a big Navy influence in the Church of Scientology partly due to the fact that church offices and such were located on ships to avoid taxes. Those members who are high up in the organization used to wear Navy officer-like uniforms until the government put an end to that. Now they dress like deckhands.

L. Ron Hubbard was the founder of Scientology. Scientology believes that all sicknesses are psychosomatic, therefore no medication is ever needed (thus the Tom Cruise vs. Brooke Shields debate on mood stabilizers and post-partum depression. Tom Cruise actually called Rolling Stone and asked them not to publish this article about Scientology). When L. Ron Hubbard died of pancreatic cancer, the corner found amounts of anti-anxiety drugs and other medications in his bloodstream. Interesting. Also, all churches of Scientology have an office for L. Ron Hubbard set up within their building for when he returns to this earth. Another interesting tidbit. Interesting because as Christians we believe in the second coming of Jesus. Are we as steadfast in that belief as the Scientologists are in the belief of the return of LRH?

Go to your local Barnes and Noble and sit down with the latest Rolling Stone and check out this article (there is also a good one on the Flying Tomato). Due to the celebrity backing of Scientology, we are going to continue to hear more and more about it. I do not believe in it's principals or it's teachings. However, I think it is socially responsible to know about other realms of faith as I continue to grow in my own.
(SIDENOTE: To those Scientologist who might be reading this post, please don't sue me. I am simply restating information from the Rolling Stone article, which is my right as an American citizen. Have a great day!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone heard that Joe Simpson has signed Carley Patterson (gold medalist in Women's gymnastics) to a record deal? Perhaps it is time to return to youth ministry, Joe.

Also, Nick Lachey is now doing infomericals. It is hard times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I only cause two 1/2 episodes of the Bachelor in Paris while on the treadmill at the gym, I am sad to hear that the newest couple from this show has broken-up. I am hoping that the American public knows that the Bachelor is simply for fun and the likelihood of a real, romantic connection is incredibly slim. However, might I suggest to ABC that if they would like for a couple to stay together, they are going to have to figure out a way for those people to actually date in between the end of taping the show and the actual airdate of the show. Do they honestly expect two people to consider themselves to be dating when they are not allowed to talk or see each other? ABC, if you create this show simply for it's entertainment value, fine. If you create it to make a genuine love connection, rethink your plan of attack.

Also, a reader's mom apparently works in the same hospital as Travis the Bachelor in Nashville. Perhaps she can hook you up if interested. Personally, I was a little fearful of his jawline.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, I was incredibly sad to hear of Dana Reeve's passing this week. I caught her appearance on Oprah last year discussing her husband's death. Not once did she utter a negative or bitter word, despite the years of turmoil they lived in as they dealt with his paralysis. Rather, Mrs. Reeve said how blessed their family was to have the financial stability to pay for the needed medical treatment and to have the ability to provide celebrity-backing for spinal cord injuries. It is always a pleasant shock to see someone out of Hollywood be genuine and appreciative.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CNN.com is currently headlining a story about the drought in Africa, specifically Kenya. My question is how come we are constantly bombarded with every tiny detail from Iraq on the nightly news, but there is barely any mention of the drought that threatens to kill entire villages? Read this story on CNN. Think about how precious that water is that you left running while you scrubbed your teeth tonight. Find an organization that provides water to such countries in times of need (Mana International--if it still has funding to operate) and give them some of your money. How often do we water our yards at 2:30pm in 90 degree weather in hopes of earning the "Yard of the Month" sign when others wait in line for days for a mere plastic bucket of this liquid sustenance?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I have noticed the map and I would like to know who these Europeans are reading your blog. My, my aren't you the internationally acclaimed blogger! I enjoyed your tidbits. I have read up on Scientology being from CA and seeing so many of their buildings in the past. Interesting point about the office waiting for LRH. I did hear about poor Nick, but have you seen Jess in the Pizza Hut commercial with Ms. Piggy? The power couple has lost their throne. By the way, I did see Dana and Will (?) on Oprah last year. How awful to die of lung cancer after having never smoked. Finally, I am ashamed to admit that I have gotten out of the habit of turning my water off when I brush or wash dishes. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for every drop.

Unknown said...

oh yeah... who ever would have thought Jenn Lindley would have been nominated for an Oscar. I have not seen the movie, but I will add to my list of reasons why not, Audrey. She should have never worked again after the Dawson's Creek debacle.

Unknown said...

I like your hodgepodge blog. Although, I don't agree with Scientology, I am fascinated by the religion. Not to offend your scientologist readers, but the media often portrays it so that it sounds slightly like a cult to me. Have you heard their views of childbirth? They believe in a "silent birth" in which the baby enters the world in silence meaning that everybody in the delivery room is silent, including the mother. They believe that silence must be maintained "to save both the sanity of the mother and the child and safeguard the home to which they will go." I am not sure what their position on the epidural is, but nonetheless, poor Katie! Also, I guess this means that Jackson is insane because I am quite sure there was music playing in the operating room when he finally made his debut to the world.

I agree with your views on the Bachelor. The no dating rule combined with the extremely unrealistic fantasy-like environment in which the show takes place spells out imminent disaster for the new couple. Lucky for me, I am one of the ones that watches for entertainment value alone, so the inevitable break-up doesn't really phase me.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

i tried to figure out how to zoom in on the map, but with no luck. however, it looks like you have a reader from the finland area. how european of you.

poor jenn lindley...she died of cancer AND found out that her husband is gay. she has had a hard life.

what is nick selling? i'll call the 800 number.

i agree about the lack of news coverage for any issue that does not help one political party or the other. lately, it seems as if the media is only concerned with either promoting the right or the left so that they get their people elected, etc.

lastly, dana reeve is one of the most amazing people that i have ever heard/read/watched about.

Phillips Family said...

Our resident British readers are Jeff and Beth, Tobe's Aunt and Uncle. They are getting their Doctorates at Cambridge.

Kelli--Did you know that is Will from Days of Our Lives in the Pizza Hut commerical?

Kate--Scientology also views children as "little adults", therefore not interacting with them a lot. They just leave them to do what they want and they rarely see their parents.

Nick Lachey is promoting Core Secrets--the exercise ball workout.

The Binkley Family said...

Thanks for all of the scientology info--it is really interesting, since it is becoming such a big deal. Considering the beliefs that are held, I can see why scientology is so appealing to celebrities. As Gary and I have agreed, any religion endorsed by celebrities is probably one who just lets them believe they can do whatever they want and it is OK.

So, what do you know about Kabbalah?

Unknown said...

I did NOT know that about Will, but I plan to look for him at next year's Oscar ceremony. DOOL, Pizza Hut commercial... best supporting actor.

Amy C said...

Core secrets. MMMmmmm. . . I think I am gonna have to look that up.

WOW. Who knew you could get so wound up. I just can't type that fast. I like it. Keep ranting, it's fun.

DKDFW said...

Nick Latch-key annoys me.

I tried to figure out a way to zoom in on your map, but alas, I have failed yet again.

Ashley said...

Girl, you amaze me. You do it all, cook, take care of Isaac, and keep up with entertainment and current events as well as religion. Good blog today.

Joe Simpson = bad decision
Charleze Theron = bad decision
Scientology = bad decision

Unknown said...

Wow- so much good stuff! I totally agree about Charlize's dress (and bad hair) that night- yuck. I couldn't stop laughing during Dolly's song...bless her heart. Joe Simpson kills me, and now I hear that Jessica is coming up to testify before congress for her charity, Operation: Smile ....what is this world coming to?!?!

PS: I am trying my best to get Robin to blog! Clara is an adorable doll and growing so fast.

Unknown said...

I did know about the "little adults" theory. I guess this is why we never see John Travolta and Kelly Preston's children grace the pages of our Us Weeklys and In Touches - they are too busy being little adults and their parents are too busy being uninvolved.

Also, I forgot to mention that I hated Charlize's dress also, but I also hate Naomi Watts' dress.

Phillips Family said...

AAAH! The telemarketers are back on my blog! Don't click on her link!