Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Blessings and Santa Claus


A week has passed since my last blog, yet it feels like a month. Tobe, Isaac, and I arrived back in Texas on Sunday morning. Although it was a very long and sad four days in Searcy, I felt blessed by the support and love that was showered upon my family. Hundreds of people came to pay their respects to my grandfather and to encourage our family. Living in the metroplex often makes me forget what small town life is like. Entering those Searcy city limits often brings back that culture in an instance. Everywhere I went last week, someone hugged me in sorrow or offered a kind thought about my grandfather. The cleaners did not charge to have the burial suit drycleaned. I went to the local jewelry store and put something on our family account and was given a discount because of the circumstances. Countless people stopped by with food and flowers. I love being able to hop in my car and be at Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond in five minutes, but that doesn't compare to the blessings a small town holds.

On Saturday we decided to do something "normal" and take Isaac to see Santa. Mom, Dad, Tobe, Isaac, and I loaded up in the van, attempting to find the holiday spirit and a quality Santa Clause. When we pulled into the local USA drug parking lot and started to unload, Tobe innocently questioned as to why we were all getting out of the car. I replied, "To see Santa", with that "DUH" look on my face. Apparently, my big-city husband (by big city I mean Lubbock) thought that we would visit Santa at the mall or maybe even a department store. The stress of the past few days must have gotten to him, causing him to forget that there is no mall in Searcy and that Santa being at USA drug is perfectly normal, as it is the newest store in town (with the exception of Walgreen, who was having a grand opening the next day--very big event). The five of us rushed inside, eager to see Santa and see what Christmas goodies awaited us on aisle seven. I had images of a jolly Santa with rosy cheeks and a hearty laugh, ready to make a timeless portrait with Isaac. What we found instead was a 20 year old Santa who didn't smile or talk and who looked panicked when we placed Isaac in his lap. The "elf" photographer had to tell Santa to hold onto Isaac better. Santa did not sit on an elegant chair surrounded by glittery gifts. Rather he sat in a folding chair with white lattice behind him. It looked like Santa had come in and sat down during the middle of a bridal shower and started posing for Christmas pictures. It was not the Hallmark moment I had pictured.

Regardless of the Santa incident, our time in Searcy was meaningful and blessed. Our family did not once feel alone in our grief, but was able to share it with many. Thanks to all of you readers for your kind comments, emails, and phone calls.

(The Santa picture was supposed to be in the middle of the post, near the Santa paragraph. However, blogger hates me tonight and is causing great trouble. )

4 comments:

Pearson Family said...

I am so glad that you are home! Our thoughts and prayers have been with you during this time, and yes, I love the small town feel! The love felt there is undescribable to those who didn't have it. Our Santa in Paris is on the square or in a park in a little red house!

DKDFW said...

Glad you guys are back safe and sound.

Unknown said...

I have never experienced small town and I remember asking Angie Weatherby if she recognized and knew everyone she saw in Abilene (since I thought it was VERY small). It sounds like a very neat thing to have so much support where you live. I'm so glad you guys are back safe and that you were blessed by your family and friends while mourning your grandfather.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

i am so sorry for your loss. colleen sent us a message letting all of us know.

also, i have to say welcome to the blogging world.