Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Snow Day!

The temperature has continued to fall throughout the day and sleet has been pelting the homestead on and off for hours. It is officially a snow day (minus the snow)! One thing you should know about me is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE snow! I was the child huddled by the radio (TV did not broadcast our school closings) eagerly awaiting to hear "Searcy Public Schools closed." As a teacher I was just as bad as the students when it came to snow and being out of school. My first year of teaching we had a snow storm hit in early December. As I drove home from work that day, I just knew there would be no school the following day. Tobe and I stayed up late decorating our little house (which had a variety of unique features, such as a bed in a closet, for those of you who never visited the first Phillips' casa) because I KNEW that LISD would cancel school the next day. As I sat in front of my TV waiting for Tammy Dombeck to announce closings, I was struck with disappointment when my district was not mentioned. I was about as grouchy as all the kids that day, who also stayed up late in hopes of a day off.

Although I have no official work to report to now, I still love a good snow day. However, I have grown weary of the 24 hour coverage of the storm that Channel 5 ran all day. Do they really expect me to get up at 1:05am to watch today's episode of Days of Our Lives that they chose not to show at regular time? I know winter weather is a big news story here in Texas, especially considering temps almost hit 90 degrees at Thanksgiving, but I could only watch Crystal Valletta standing on the side of I-35 talking about potential ice and accidents for so long. Tobe worked from home due to an appointment later in the day so Isaac and I got to hang with him in between his important Baylor duties. We all supported my home state and wore Arkansas shirts (this was not Tobe's choice as he was the first one dressed and just happened to wear his Razorback tee. I just made sure that Isaac and I followed suit. ) and took a family portrait by the tree.


Tomorrow it is cinnamon rolls and coffee for breakfast (our winter weather treat as opposed to the everyday Shredded Wheat) and round 2 of Channel 5's around-the-clock coverage of the storm. Happy Snow (minus the Snow) Day!

(editing note: this post was written yesterday, December 7th, but I was just able to post it this morning)

5 comments:

Alison said...

Ahh Lynley, obviously you have not experienced the miracle of Tivo, or in our case DVR. I was extremely disappointed last night as I sat down to watch my recorded episode of DAYS to find out that NBC 5 coverage started as the first patch of ice was forming in Denton County. However, with the power of DVR, I watched the 1:05am episode this morning. Belle's baby had yet another spinal tap, and Lucas has declared his love for Carrie. That's all you missed!

DKDFW said...

Arkansas shirts.....G

j/k

Unknown said...

What in the world is wrong with Belle's baby??? And is Lexie the new Salem pediatrician? Anyway, next time that happens to you Lynley, follow my example and from 6pm to 11:30pm drink 3 quarts (that's right) of Iced Tea so that you have to remain awake due to trips to the bathroom and an overload of caffeine. I felt so lucky that DOOL was on at 1:05 after Carson Daly.

Unknown said...

I was also the child huddled around the TV waiting for school to be closed. (I was also the child who could talk my mom into not making me and my brother go to school when it remained open despite my opinion that it should be closed.)

As for your Santa post, Erika, Carolyn and I are heading to Frisco mall on Saturday, and I will let you know how fabulous the Santa is after that date.

Jami said...

LOVE the shirts!!!! I am going to the Tech/Razorback basketball game at American Airlines Dec. 21. Can't wait! Wooooo Pig Sooie!!!