Saturday, December 17, 2005

Craft Conundrum

I am alive!!! I know that it has been four long days since my last post and my five readers were questioning my existence, but I have been in craft horrorland (wanted to keep this with a G-rating because some former students read this blog) for the past few days. I love all things crafty, especially during the holiday season. Typically I make some sort of present for our relatives. One year it was serving trays and another it was nightlights. Perhaps my relatives dread opening the gift marked, "From Tobe and Lynley" because they know I have made the present and they fear it is their last name etched in dried macaroni. No one has ever spoken of this fear, so I continue to handmake the majority of our Christmas presents. There has only been one time in the past when I embarked on a craft journey during the holiday time that lead me to tears of frustration. This was the year of the ornament, when I handmade intricate designs on a Styrofoam ball out of straight pins and sequins. Sounds terribly horrible, but has a beautiful result. This process takes hours because each sequin must be put on individually, until you can no longer feel the pads of your fingertip from pushing pins into foam. This year's craft is causing an equal amount of distress. It does not involve sequins or pushpins, but does have some cursing and tears. Some of you readers know the pain of this craft (please don't mention it in the comments so my relatives can be dutifully shocked on Christmas morning) and have heard my complaining this week either in person or via email. Christmas is a week away and this craft is still sitting on my fireplace, eagerly awaiting completion. However, today I have managed to take 54 pictures of Isaac in front of the Christmas tree (no exaggeration), take a nap, talk to Tobe, make hot chocolate (Best Kind: Swiss Miss marshmallow lovers made with milk rather than the suggested water), and now blog hoping to avoid this craft. Will my relatives rip into their beautifully wrapped Christmas presents only to find a half-finished project? I will let you know on December 26th.

(Isaac wondering if this present was handmade or is a real gift)

5 comments:

Jennifer Schroeder said...

we LOVE your handmade gifts (except for the year that you handmade everyone environmentally friendly underwear out of poison oak).

we were just talking about you this evening. brit asked if you had taken classes in crafting or gone to school for that. we told her that you were just naturally talented.

Alison said...

I have always loved your handmade gifts, Lynley! I give the painful ornament ball a center spot on our tree right next to the Kojie Christmas Social 1997 scribbled-on ornament!

Unknown said...

I have just had the feeling return to my fingertips after using pushpins to hang ornaments from my ceiling and the super glue that had stuck my fingertips together has finally faded away although my first layer of fingertip skin has not grown back yet. I'm currently in the market for a new fingertip torture and would like to hear more about your sequin/pin ornament.

Pearson Family said...

I feel your pain of this craft! It's beauty is appreciated and will be loved by all, but as you know it was equally frustrating to me. I would love to see the sequin ball, maybe I can start it now for next years presents!

Shanta said...

Lynley- I can't wait to see what you made! I like crafty folks-not being one myself I will live vicariously through you. And where do your in-laws live? If we are in the same neighborhood, come and see us!I will email tobe on a "secure line" :)