Monday, February 27, 2006

Go, Dog, Go!

What did you do this past rainy Saturday morning? Did you stay in bed, snuggled down under the covers? Did you enjoy a steaming stack of pancakes and a warm cup of coffee? Over here at the casa de Phillips' we thought Saturday morning would be the perfect time to head out to Fort Worth and run in the rain. Yes, Tobe and I headed out for the Cowtown Marathon early Saturday morning. Tobe has been training for the marathon for months and this was to be my first 5K since having the baby. What do we wake up to Saturday morning? Pouring down rain and lightening. Apparently our area got more rain from Friday afternoon to Saturday morning than it has from November 1, 2005 to Feb. 23, 2006.

Despite the weather, we made our way to Fort Worth. Tobe has been training so long and he didn't want to pass up this chance to meet a life goal due to some weather. We scooped up some trendy ponchos at Wal-Mart on our way down and then headed out into the rain. Fortunately it was a very light drizzle when Tobe's race started. For my race, the rain would come and go, but was never unbearable. Besides, I had on my stylin' poncho (which doesn't help with the jogging) to keep me dry and warm.

This is the 3rd year we have participated in the Cowtown Marathon 5k. Every time it has been eventful. The first year it was like 30 degrees when we ran. Being rookies at the whole Fort Worth 5K thing, Tobe and I had simply worn our running shorts and t-shirts. Downtown Fort Worth has very tall buildings, which create great things for the wind to whip around and make huge, frigid gusts that almost knock you over. We froze that first year, but had a good time. Last year I was 18 weeks pregnant when I ran the 5K. My doctor had given me the "OK" to participate, however she advised me to stay very hydrated the whole time because I had become dehydrated a few weeks before and experienced cramping. Perfect, except that a well-hydrated pregnant woman needs a restroom waiting five feet at all times. My bladder was on the verge of exploding by the time I crossed the finish line last year. Finally, this year was the rain. By the time Tobe victoriously crossed the finish line, he was completely soaked. Although the rain had been light at the start, he did experience several bouts of steady rain during his 26.2 mile run. I was pretty soaked after the 5k and then drenched while standing in the rain waiting for my husband to cross that finish line. By the time we made it back to our car, we looked pretty pathetic.

Some highlights from the race included seeing a girl running in her Juicy couture sweatsuit (not made for actual exercise) holding her Burberry umbrella. I was tempted to yell, "Go back to Highland Park" as I passed her (but was concentrating on not falling on the slick pavement or drowning in a puddle). We were able to see good college friends representing Sweetwater USA and catch-up with them. Also, there was a man who ran the marathon barefoot. Apparently this is his "thing". Sounds very dangerous and really raises the risk for getting an infectious disease. The best highlight from the race can be found on the front page of the Cowtown Marathon's special section in yesterday's Fort Worth Starr Telegram. In the top left hand corner you see a man wearing a life vest, goggles, and a swim hat. Yes, dear readers, that man was in our wedding and is a good friend of the Phillips'.

Despite the weather, the Cowtown was a great experience this year. Hopefully the three readers of this blog will join us next year as we once again race through the streets of Fort Worth.



Isaac chose to stay warm and cozy in his Jammies with Nana and Papa rather than brave the elements.

9 comments:

Shanta said...

WAY TO GO! I am truly impressed with you and the Patys. Maybe the Murrays will be up for it next year. (maybe) Rest up my dear!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I am so proud of you both! I am actually pretty impressed knowing you ran a 5K while being 18 weeks pregnant. Please send Tobe our congrats too! What a great accomplishment. Would either of you like to join us in our slovenly ways on the couch holding the "clicker" for a few weeks now?

DKDFW said...

Nice job, you guys!

BTW, I heard that Drew LATCH-KEY won Dancing/Swimming/Skating with B & C level celebrities.

Phillips Family said...

We actually recorded Dancing with the Stars b/c we were watching the scariest movie ever at the time. However, I convinced Tobe to stay up with me and watch the results. I was so glad to see stupid Stacey Keebler get 3rd place.

Those who watched DWTS, do you think Nick Lachey cringed when one couple danced to "Take My Breath Away" as he remembered his ill-fated duet remake of this song?

Unknown said...

First of all, I can't believe that you ran while 18 weeks pregnant. I kind of viewed pregnancy as an opportunity to forgo running.

Congratulations to Tobe! I ran the Cowtown marathon my junior year of college, and I found out after I was through that that particular day was record-breaking windy. Add that to the buildings, and I thought I was going to die. Maybe Cowtown needs to rethink when they do their marathon as they are apparently cursed by mother nature?

Jennifer Schroeder said...

i am very impressed!!

Amy C said...

I have always wanted to do that. You go girl,and pregnant no less. What a woman!

Unknown said...

Hey Lynley! I ran across your blog and had to say congrats on your run- I talked to Ginger and she mentioned the horrible conditions, but I think you all totally ROCK for training and doing that. Also, I had no idea that you grew up with Jeremy Kernodle! We love Jeremy and Robin, and somehow he recently mentioned that you guys grew up together in Searcy and your mom's are close friends....what a small world! By the way, your little boy is absolutely adorable and beautiful!

Phillips Family said...

Hi Kelly! I have to admit that I am a secret reader of your blog---but no more! From now on, I will be sure to leave a comment!

My family has a long history with the Kernodle clan. I think that Robin needs to get herself a blog so we can all keep up with Ms. Clara...