Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Reunited Again

Two reunions have occurred in the past 24 hours : Blogger and myself (has it really been a week since my last post?) and Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling.

Some of you (the elite who attended nice schools) are wondering what the connection is between Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling. Those of you who grew-up in small town America know this duo well. Before there was 360 or The View, there was Channel 1. Channel 1 was a ten minute morning news broadcast shown in schools by Turner Broadcasting. The deal made by Mr. Turner was that he would put new televisions in all classrooms if the school would agree to an extended year contract with Channel 1, promising to show this quality news program every morning (which ran commercials--thus the source of money for all those sparkly TV's). The program would come on AUTOMATICALLY every morning at 8:05am--no one even had to turn the television on. Turner Broadcasting sold this deal to smaller, poorer school districts (sorry, Highland Park ISD).

The news was hosted by supposedly young hip teenagers with a nose for the world's happenings. Among these young journalists were Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling. Bet Anderson fooled you into thinking he is a seasoned reporter with the gray hair, huh? Other famous Channel 1 reporters include Justin Gunn--formerly of Inside Edition, now on the Food Network, and Sabrina Autchul (sp????) on MTV. Yesterday Anderson and Lisa were reunited on the Oprah show to discuss the Hurricane Katrina aftermath. Apparently, our government has forgotten that thousands and thousands of people have lost their homes and livelyhoods. It was a very moving show that I hope will remind all of us of the work that remains in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Here is a picture of a future Channel 1 reporter...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure Isaac will skip Channel 1 and go straight to the Nightly News. How in the world did Lisa Ling ever get talked into working on The View???

Unknown said...

Not only did Turner target poorer school districts, he also targeted private schools who rely on donations such as Fort Worth Christian where I went. We definitely had Channel One, and the minute you mentioned Lisa Ling and Anderson Cooper reuniting, I knew exactly what you were talking about. Only our TVs came on at 10:00.

Isaac looks like such a little man in that outfit! He is so precious, and I think he will certainly bypass the Channel One circuit in his rise to the top of the journalistic world!

Phillips Family said...

The View was Lisa's big break, actually. Did you notice she quickly left them behind once offered bigger and better things. Besides, someone had to replace the dreadful Debbie Matanopolis.

DKDFW said...

At Rockfest back in 1996, I, along with 350,000 of my closest friends, watched bands like Counting Crows, Bush and No Doubt. In the middle of the crowd was a large, elevated stand from MTV with Kurt Loder and of course the oh so beautiful Sabrina Altschul (sp?). During a break in the music I yelled that I loved her. She smiled back, waved and said, "i love you too!"

That moment defined the rest of her career.

Phillips Family said...

don--ask tobe about his rockfest experience...

Unknown said...

Hey I went to Rockfest with Tobe. I remember melting in the heat. Literally. I think my first layer of skin is gone.

Shanta said...

Isaac is very Aeropastale in his threads. He has no time for journalism. I'm confident that he will be a model! Such a cutie pie!

I actually used to like the View before it became Star's personal rant. My mom and I even went and saw barbara wa-wa and meredith- who I love. I never really cared for LLing, but I definitely think her replacement Elisabeth was a huge improvement.