Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Textbook Baby

Apparently Isaac has been reading "What to Expect the First Year" and came upon the chapter titled "separation Anxiety at Eight Months." He then took very precise notes (like his mother would) and memorized all characteristics of a child wanting his mommy. Somewhere in all of this Isaac forgot that he doesn't like to cuddle and would prefer playing on the floor or rolling all over the house.

Yes, the separation anxiety has hit bigtime in the Phillips' household. Could it occur at 11:30am? Nope, it happens at 2am or 4am or sometimes at midnight. Isaac started sleeping through the night from 7:30pm to 7:30am at 3 1/2 months. This was a gift from God, despite the fact that I did have some withdrawals from Nick at Night. A few weeks ago Isaac had a double ear infection, causing him to be up during the night. The ear infection is long gone, but the night wakenings are here to stay (for now). The whimpers turn into cries which turn into hysterical sobbing before I can make it to his room. We have let him cry it out some, but he is pretty persistent in this area and I am not a huge proponent of CIO. We don't co-sleep for a variety of reasons, one being that I am a very vicious sleeper and CPS might have to be notified. Poor Tobe puts his life in harms way every night when he crawls under the covers with me. So now our happy, smiling boy is crying a lot during the night. I know it is a ploy to get me to come in the room, pick him up, let him stare at me with a confused look on his face because I am wearing glasses, and then put him back down to sleep ten minutes later. I am a sucker for ploys.

I have read every sleep book out there, some twice, and am now resigning myself to the fact that Erickson and Piaget were correct in this whole developmental stage concept. However, this getting up in the middle of the night wears a girl out. The "books" say this is a phase that babies grow out of relatively quickly once trust is established (sounds quirky, I know, but it's true). Hopefully Isaac has reached that part of the book in his studies so he can resume sleeping all night long before his twelth birthday.

(I do have this great blog post in my head, once again on the "Mommy Wars" series on ABC's Good Morning America. Once the fog clears from my head, I promise to post it. In the meantime, here is Isaac playing in the tub.)

Yes, that is a large scratch on Isaac's left check that he somehow managed to do in the middle of the night Monday night. Fortunately, we are getting Easter pictures taken tomorrow so I guess he will be going for the "Tough Guy" image rather than sweet baby boy.

I know that I have already posted this picture. Blogger is being mean today.

10 comments:

DKDFW said...

CIO? Chief Information Officer? Fill me in , eh.

Phillips Family said...

Cry It Out--letting your baby cry and cry when trying to sleep. Not fun times.

Did Tobe tell you I almost purchased a book for the baby titled "Parker Learns to Help". It was a cute book, however the Parker in the story was from a different race than your Parker and I didn't want to confuse him :)

Amy C said...

The bath pictures are so cute. Where did you get that duck. I LOVE it!

Unknown said...

I also love that Duck! Have you seen the Veggie Tales version of David and Bathsheba? There's a whole song about loving ducks in the tub, which I'm certain Isaac would enjoy singing.

Not a fun stage, however since he goes back to sleep after a 10 minute cuddle, hopefully it will be short-lived. Maybe Tobe should discuss his sleep hygiene research with Isaac. Isaac might enjoy perusing a few circle graphs and the like at bedtime.

By the way, did I hear the IO program at UNT disbanded and now there are people with no place to finish their PhD?? If true, I'm so glad Tobe is done!

Phillips Family said...

Amy--the duck is from Target--just $10! It is the perfect bath right now. Although Isaac can sit up unsupported, his bath time is right before bedtime. He tends to be less coordinated at this time due to being sleepy so I am scared to let him sit in the big tub.

Kelli--That doesn't not shock me about the UNT program. We were fearful that would happen while Tobe was still enrolled and we would be in big trouble--that is why he rushed to get done early. He was the first actual PhD graduate out of that program.

Unknown said...

I am sorry about the separation anxiety! We haven't reached that with Jackson yet. Hopefully, we can just avoid that altogether. We have had to test the CIO method a few times. I can pretty much tell when just letting him cry will work and when it won't at this point. I do hope this middle of the night business will be short-lived.

I love the bath pictures! Isaac looks like he is having lots of fun at bath-time!

DKDFW said...

HA!! He did tell me and I appreciate your thinking of Sadie and I.

DKDFW said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DKDFW said...

By the way, did Tobe tell you about the shower at work? Hope you can come and meet Sadie.

Phillips Family said...

He has not mentioned it. Perhaps he is wanting all the cake for himself. I will quiz him regarding details as soon as he walks in the door tonight--don't husbands love that???

Hopefully Isaac and I can come!