Wednesday, April 12, 2006

WOW!

As a member of a social club during my college years (AKA Sorioity to all non-ACU alumni out there), I participated in a club tradition called "WOW Awards". At this time of night and this far removed from club, I no longer remember if WOW was an acronym or was simply the word "wow". Anyway, WOW awards were given if someone did something spectacular. This person would get a lovely paper certificate and everyone would say "WOW" all at once. Tonight I would like to give a WOW Award to Razorbackfan1717. Below is my thank-you note, as I have no name or address for you, Razorbackfan1717. (If WOW Awards happen to be a Kojie secret...OOPS!)

Dear Razorbackfan1717,

This evening as I trudged to my mailbox to fetch today's mail, I was reliving a very bitter experience I just had at CVS pharmacy (a post in its own right). Still grumbling in my head at the slower-than-molasses pharmacist and hoping for Eckerds one day return, I pulled open our post office box to find what I call the "golden key." In our neighborhood we have no individual mailboxes. Rather, we have postal centers where each household is allotted a tiny metal hole in which to receive mail. On days when the mail gods have sent you a package, a simple key is left in your box. You then get the privilege to open the large mailbox at the bottom of the neighborhood postal center and retrieve your package. I love finding this key in our mailbox.

Today I found the key and hurriedly opened the mail slot to retrieve our package. I was stunned to discover not one, but two brown packages, both addressed to me. One was a package my mom mailed two weeks ago that appears to have traveled through Greenland on its journey from Arkansas to Texas. The other was simply addressed to me. Inside this second package was the book "
The Mommy Wars." Eagerly, I opened this book to search its contents when a slip of paper fell from its pages. It was an invoice from half.com stating the mailing address, sender, and shipping dates. The sender was simply listed as "Razorbackfan1717." I immediately accused my husband of buying this book for me, as he knows the significance of Razorbacks and the number 17 to me. He denied any knowledge of the book. I then called my mom, who had no clue as to what I was talking about (although she did tell me a humorous story of accidentally leaving her keys in the ignition with her car running while inside a coffee shop for 20 minutes).

I contemplated calling several other people and accusing them of sending me this book (why I am accusing people of sending me a much appreciated gift really needs to be addressed in therapy one day), but decided to simply enjoy my new read. Thank you so much to whoever thought of me and sent me such a nice present. Tonight I joyfully cancelled my request for this book from the local library as I now actually own my very own copy. I cannot wait to read it and share its contents on my blog. Razorbackfan1717, your generosity is an inspiration and serves as a reminder for me to "pass it on."

Sincerely,
Lynley

PS. To my other 4 blog readers (3 now that I just told that tidbit about my mom), I am working on a new entry, but have yet to post it. I promise to finish it tomorrow.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so fun to receive a random gift like that! I can't wait for you to read this book either, so I can determine from your posts if I need to read it also.

Our mailbox situation is similar, so I can relate to the feeling of the "golden key!"

Unknown said...

Wow indeed! An anonymous gift from a blog reader??? Do you think someone will send me tickets to see "The View" after my recent Meredith rant?

Shanta said...

That is really nice Lynley. I am just worried that some random blogger has your address! I hope its from a well known friend or family member.

Phillips Family said...

Razorbackfan1717 called me today and the identity is no longer a mystery! Thanks, Jami!

Thanks Shanta for being concerned for my personal safety! Glad to know that you have my back!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

hi, lynley. i had to call tobe at work the other day to get some info to pass along to parents of a kid in my program, and do you know what...? he sounded like an adult when he answered the phone. i was a bit shocked. when did we all become real, live adults?

Phillips Family said...

Jen--Where did your blog go? I have been unable to access it for a few weeks now. I am going through withdrawal!

Unknown said...

Hey my guess was Jami!!