Monday, November 14, 2005

Church

For the first four years of our marriage, Tobe and I have attended church stress-free. We are both morning people and had no trouble getting out of bed on the weekends to attend worship services. We had our little Sunday morning routine of waking up, reading the paper, going grocery shopping, and then heading off to church. Then came the baby, whom someone forgot to tell the Sunday morning routine to. Didn't they have like an orientation/Welcome Week (for you ACU readers) in the hospital nursery to let my child know how things run? Perhaps they did and Isaac slept through it (this is the child who slept through his "little boy procedure").

Now the Sunday morning routine consists of trying to get ourselves ready, scheduling feeding times so Isaac can have his second meal as soon as service starts, doing PT time and tummy time, putting Isaac down for his morning nap before church, and then loading everything up in the car and heading off to Trophy Club. Isaac has done remarkably well during church service these first few months of life. I do sit during service now with a little fear that he might possibly decide to yell out during the communion prayer or start crying when the preacher really gets into his sermon. So far we have gone to church without major incident, with one exception. For some reason, Isaac always tends to poop while we are at church. This same little boy has constipation issues every other day of the week, but for some reason all that praising God really gets to him and his bowels. Yesterday was no exception. Within 15 minutes of being at church, we were off to the nursery to borrow the changing table. Perhaps it is my psychology background or just my quirkiness, but I worry about Isaac associating two random things and always pairing such things together. For instance, I remarked in a previous post how he falls asleep after eating his lunch bottle and his last bottle of the day. In those cases he has paired eating with sleeping. Now I am fearful that he has paired church with pooping, which could be a major problem one day when he is asked to lead the closing prayer.

Sidenote: Isaac has just learned this weekend how to vocalize to get my attention. He has been talking and cooing for quite awhile now. He has also been participating in conversations with others (or with himself in the mirror). However, Saturday I had been talking and playing with him, then stopped to talk to Tobe. Isaac began "talking" until I looked at him, then he smiled really big. He has been doing this all morning. I really think that I better start filling out his paperwork for Penn State (chosen for its excellent psych program) now because I think we have a child genius on our hands....... :) We are off tomorrow morning for our second physical therapist visit, this time with Our Childrens' House at Baylor Grapevine (our insurance did not want to cover that as well, despite the fact that this insurance is through Baylor. A wonderful social worker at Cook Childrens did manage to get the insurance to pay. A BIG thanks to her, as all of our relatives were going to get a gift certificate for one session of Isaac's PT for Christmas if we had to pay out of pocket.). We will let you know how that goes and if Isaac wears his sweatsuit and sweatbands.

Happy Monday!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Church is a dirty word at our house. Just kidding!! But I am looking forward to one day hearing a full sermon and/or sitting through an entire service again.

Shanta said...

Lynley- you are hysterical. When do I get to meet Mr. Poopy Pants?

Pearson Family said...

I just love your blogs. I, too, along with probably every other mom fears the church scenerios. Parker was a loud eater! We would excuse ourselves to the cry room for his bottle because he would suck really loud on his bottle and disturb others. Our most recent outburst was during communion when Parker announced he was going SHEWWWEE during the prayer.

Alison said...

Oh dearest Lynley, I think you are overanaylzing your darling little boy. Did it ever occur to you that God might just be "moving him"? Get it?
Anyway, I agree with Kelli and Paige. I haven't heard a sermon in months! We usually have to leave because Morgan gets chatty. While Greg was up doing announcements once, Morgan started jumping up and down on my lap squealing at the top of her lungs. Needless to say, no one around us heard the announcements. I do miss the days when Morgan would take a bottle during church and then burp really loud. That always got the youth group giggling!

Unknown said...

Lynley-I can't get over that we were at the hospital at the same time! How crazy is that? We could have had a party on the maternity wing at Baylor Grapevine! Maybe we had the same doctor too?

By the way, my little man hates communion. He can be in a dead sleep, and the minute communion starts, he screams bloody murder. I have missed communion more times in the last 3 months! I have been comparing pictures of our two boys, and I think my little Jackson has a huge head compared to your little Isaac. What do you think?

The Honey Family said...

You are the funniest person I know. Your "play by play" is better than any sports announcer. I really think you lost your calling to be a comedian! (Although night clubs aren't your thing). Maybe Tobe has rubbed off on you - or maybe you have always been this way - either way, you make me laugh so hard I have to get up and walk around so I can finish reading - as I have tears in my eyes and can't see!!!!!

Phillips Family said...

Girls--All of your comments have made me laugh out loud!
Kelli: We enjoy sitting by y'all at church so we can hit Matthew up for some snacks.
Shanta: You can meet Isaac anytime. Tobe's parents actually live in Carrollton. Do you have either of our email addresses?
Paige: I found it quite humorous that we both wrote about poop on the same day!
Alison: Just like Morgan, I often squeal when greg does announcements
Kate: Our doctor was Dr. Allen. I actually just met a lady today who had a baby girl on August 4th at Baylor Grapevine. Truly a small world!
Jami: What? You didn't think I was funny as a three year old?