Saturday, November 05, 2005

Fall in a cup...

Those of you who live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have likely heard the forecast for this weekend and upcoming week--mid 80's and sunny. Perfect weather for the beginning of September, but it just doesn't work for November. November is a time for long sleeves, sweatshirts (speaking of sweatshirts, I wore one the other night to the gym from a Christmas social that said "featuring The Point". Those readers who attended such Christmas social, whatever happened to The Point and why did we name check them on a club t-shirt?), and warm drinks. This is quite hard to accomplish when Troy Dungan is telling me it is going to be 85 degrees today. I suppose I could turn the air way down in my house to make it seem chilly, but that seems a little pricey.

So last night Tobe and I went out without the baby (Nana J is in town) to enjoy some time together. After a tasty meal at Mi Cocina, we headed off to our local Barnes and Noble (yes, we are very exciting people). As we opened the door, our senses were flooded with the sights and sounds of Christmas. That is right--Barnes and Noble has welcomed Christmas, despite the fact that yesterday was November 4th. They were playing Christmas music, had displays of Christmas books, and wrapping paper was already on sale. Now I love Christmas, but I like for things to go in order. All the stores acknowledged Halloween and we all celebrated that. However, it appears that we have skipped over fall and Thanksgiving and jumped right into Christmas. We found this same thing to be true at Target (like I said, we are exciting people). All the fall decor was on clearance and Christmas was everywhere you looked.

I am saying all of this to let you know that I am boycotting Christmas things until the Friday after Thanksgiving. I will not look at any Christmas aisles in Target. I will not sing any Christmas carols to my lovely son. I will not make my special Christmas candy. However, I will continue to enjoy my fall decorations in my living room. I might rake some leaves in the front yard (assuming it gets cold enough for them to actually change colors and fall). I will wear my cozy ten year old sweatshirts, despite what Rebecca Miller tells me the weather is for that day.

If you need to help yourself stay in the fall mindset, I suggest you drive down to your local Starbucks and get a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Now, it is a little hard to find the ad for such marvelous drink among all the promos for the Gingerbread Latte and the Peppermint Latte, but it is still there. The pumpkins spice latte is like fall in a cup. It is the most delicious drink (even more delicious than Alexa Conomos' traffic, Don) in the world. Yes, it does cost about $27 and half of a kidney (SIDE NOTE: Why are we not protesting the cost of designer coffee drinks? I worked as a barista one summer and it does not cost a coffee joint that much to make a specialty drink. Basically all they consist of are milk and coffee, which are some of the cheapest things you can buy at the grocery store) to purchase a tall pumpkin spice latte, but it is worth the price. As I sipped my tasty treat last night, I blocked out "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" that was blaring from the speaker overhead and turned a blind eye towards The Polar Bear Express . Instead I concentrated on turkeys, pilgrims, and pumpkins. Hopefully you can do the same. Happy November!

7 comments:

Pearson Family said...

Last night I enjoyed a Caramel Apple Cider from Starbucks as my family took a stroll around Southlake Town Center for a night out. Parker loved the fountain and we just enjoyed being out of the house. I agree with this weather stuff. I want to wear my sweaters! My wardrobe is quite limited anyway, but most of my prego clothes are fall.

Phillips Family said...

We were at Southlake Town Center for awhile--wish we would have seen y'all. I wil have to try the apple cider next time!

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE the caramel apple cider. I also love the white chocolate mocha. It is like liquid candy.

Alison said...

We must be on the same wavelength (not that we haven't been before). Greg and I have gotten the Pumpkin Spice latte twice this weekend! Although last night, Greg swore his was a vanilla latte. We figured out that the Pumpkin Cheesecake muffin he ordered along with the latte had altered his taste buds a bit. The muffin is also quite tastey, but not a good idea for those of us still working off the pregnancy pounds! As for the high price of the coffee, it is the only "entertainment" money we can afford right now. See, I found about $50 in Starbucks gift cards in my wallet recently. It pays to clean out your purse every once in a while!

Phillips Family said...

Pumpkin Cheesecake muffin??? I wonder if starbucks is still open...

DKDFW said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DKDFW said...

mmmmmm...Alexa Conomos