Friday, November 11, 2005

A Day in the Life of....


....Isaac Michael Phillips!

Some of you readers come to this blog to check up on Isaac and could really care less about my ramblings. I thought I should let you know what Isaac has been up to this week and what a typical day is like for him.

We took it pretty easy all this week after last week's numerous doctors' visits, ultrasounds, Halloween, Nana J visiting, fence building, and hearing Mama rant on the phone for hours to the insurance company or about the insurance company to any poor soul that happened to call. This week was all about chillin' at home. Despite the record breaking temperatures, we did go on our walks to downtown Grapevine and the botanical gardens (Why doesn't everyone live in Grapevine? It is just heaven on earth!). The picture I posted is Isaac enjoying the goldfish pond at the botanical gardens. While Isaac napped this week, I cleaned the house. I scrubbed floors with bleach, washed baseboards, dusted ceiling fans, etc. I never really got that nesting instinct those final weeks of pregnancy that I read about. I more had the instinct to lay on the couch and watch Days of Our Lives (you know, because the baby had to rest :) ). I think now that Isaac is here, that whole nesting thing has kicked into high gear. I worry that he is living in a germ pit. Then I worry if the house is TOO clean when he goes out into the world his body won't be able to fight off disease. No one mentioned that the worry hormone kicks in as soon as the baby comes out! So I cleaned the house from top to bottom. Then yesterday I ventured outside of the house during naptime to tackle my duties in the yard (if you don't know, Tobe and I divided up the chores of running a household before we got married. It is a very effective system and I recommend it to everyone. We have never had a fight or even discussion over who does what. Can you tell we were psych majors?). I choose to be responsible for the flowerbeds and the hedges. I took care of these all summer while pregnant, with the exception of one very large bush that Tobe trimmed for me (For some reason he did not want me to climb up on the ladder to trim this bush while 8 months pregnant--could have something to do with the fact that the previous summer while trimming this tree I fell off the ladder, into the bush, and then onto the ground). Since August 3rd, I have neglected the flower beds a bit. Yesterday I hacked away at some unsightly weeds and raked a mammoth amount of leaves into a tidy pile for Tobe. Isaac continued to work on neck and muscle strength more this week. He also has the whole Leap Frog bouncy seat down and enjoys hearing "The bird flies high and low..." Over and over again. He will just talk to those animals and try so hard to get them in his mouth. (The Leap Frog bouncy seat is another recommendation to expectant parents. As far as bouncy seats go, it is pretty tacky looking. However, it is quite entertaining to baby and educational as well. Plus every parent needs to be able to sing "The lion roars hello, the bird flies high and low, the fish swims in the sea..." )

Here is a day in the life of Isaac Michael Phillips:
7:15am Wake-up ...He usually wakes up talking and smiling.


7:30am Eat


8:00am Sing-a-long time with mom (this is only done in private as Tobe is the actual singer in the family), stretches/tummy time, Leap Frog seat time (so I can finish getting ready for the day), story book time (This week, his favorite books have been Duck for President, Click Clack Moo Cows that Type, and Baby Animals)


9:00am Morning Nap


9;40am More stretches/tummy time


10:00am Eat/Watch The View (he loves starring at the TV during the opening of The View. I don't know if it is because it shows people's faces up-close or because he wonders how Star Jones lost all that weight and why she insists on wearing sleeveless shirts despite the fact she has not had any excess skin removed)


10:30-1:00: This is errand time, if we have some that need to be run. After having Isaac I quickly figured out that it is better to do my grocery shopping on the weekends when I can leave him home with daddy. After I put the carrier in the shopping cart, there is no place for the food. Besides, I don't think it is healthy to put my frozen chicken in his lap to hold while we shop. Taking Isaac on errands was a huge accomplishment for me in the beginning weeks of Motherhood. My mom (Nana J) made me take him to Tom Thumb with her when he was a week and a half old. After this trip, I got in the car in tears saying that I was never going to be able to go anywhere until he was seven. Now that the post-pregnancy hormones have settled down and my right arm is much stronger after lugging the baby carrier for three months, I feel confident to take him anywhere! On days we don't have errands, we go on walks or hang out at home and play.

12:45ish: Isaac eats lunch and then falls dead asleep. I know that you are not supposed to pair eating with sleeping with babies, as it could create a sleep aid. Isaac used to always fall asleep after eating. Now he just falls asleep after eating lunch and his last bottle of the day. So maybe he will go to kindergarten one day, eat in the cafeteria, and fall dead asleep at the table. Honestly, he won't be the first kid to do so..... He sleeps for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours at this time. This is when I run around the house like a mad person, cleaning, organizing, starting supper prep, etc..
.
4:00: Isaac wakes up and eats. We usually turn on Oprah at this time, only to be disappointed by what she is talking about.

4:30-5:30 Play with daddy

5:30: Isaac takes his last nap of the day, so that he can make it through supper and bath time.

6:00pm: Eat supper, play, work on physical therapy stuff

7:30pm: Bath time, bottle time, bedtime (otherwise known as "The 3 B's" at the Phillips' house)

8:15pm: I hit the gym

4:00am: Sometimes Isaac wakes up at this time, sometimes he doesn't. However, I currently have a bone to pick with Nick at Night TV. They USED to show Cosby Show during this time, but now it is The Jeff Foxworthy Show. What???? Since when does anyone want to watch that in reruns? If I remember correctly, no one watched that while in syndication.

So there you have it--a day in the life of Isaac.

5 comments:

The Honey Family said...

I meant to comment on this one, and it was the first one...

anyway... I love this! It's so funny! I've laughed and I can hear you talking. I especially love the comment about Star Jones - I think that every time I see her - I'm like what are you thinking? You should know better - and you see yourself in the mirror before? Right?

Alison said...

Wow, what a nice routine Isaac has! Your comments made me miss hearing "Lion roars hello..." over and over and over again. Katie called it the "You can do it to" chair. We'll have to come over and hear Isaac do it! You talked about Isaac watching The View opening. Morgan has 3 shows that when they play the song, without fail, she freezes wherever she is in the room and watches. They are Blues Clues, Days of Our Lives, and Laguna Beach. Hmmm...which one is the actual one the mommy should be letting her watch? Luckily, after the song, she continues on with whatever she was doing. Now days it's alot of "dump out mommy's purse", "get stuck under the coffee table", or "pull to a stand using a kitty as a base".

Unknown said...

Hey Lynley! This is Kate (Barclay), and I saw your comment on both Brooke's and Shanta's pages. Your little boy is super cute! I read your post about the insurance deal, and it is crazy because you had your son on August 3rd. My son was born on August 2nd, and if you tell me you had him at Baylor Grapevine, that will be even more crazy because that is where my son was born! We may have been in the same hospital at the same time! Tell Tobe hi for me!

Phillips Family said...

Kate--I WAS at Baylor Grapevine! I actually came to the hospital on August 2nd, but didn't have him until the 3rd. They most likely were in the nursery together! It is truly a small world! We will have to get in touch and get the boys together for a playdate!

Phillips Family said...

alison--Laguna Beach is not an educational program? News to me....