Sunday, November 27, 2005

Thanksgiving Hoopla

(here we are on Thanksgiving day at my parents house)

We are back safe and sound in lovely Grapevine, USA tonight. The Thanksgiving holiday found us in Searcy, AR visiting with my family. We left early (3:30am) Wednesday morning and had an uneventful trip to Searcy (this word "uneventful" is very important in describing trips to Searcy. Last year at Christmastime it took us 15 1/2 hours to get to Searcy from Grapevine--a trip that normally takes six hours. We got stuck on the interstate in an ice storm and sat on in our car for hours, only to move five feet before having to sit again. This was not a fun experience nor a bonding one. I was pregnant at the time and had a full bladder. There were no bathrooms, just trees and truckers leering out their windows. Needless to say, I stayed in the car fearful any movement would cause an embarrassing accident. It took months before we could laugh about this trip.) Thanksgiving was filled with all our favorite foods (cherry pie, ice cream dessert, turkey and dressing), family, and Isaac screaming due to over-stimulation. I sometimes have these Hallmark images of family holidays and baby's first experiences. Someone forgot to tell little Isaac that these Hallmark images do not include a sweet baby crying uncontrollably until he falls asleep. But we forged on with our holiday celebrations and all ended well.

The most exciting thing about our Thanksgiving was that Isaac rolled over! I know that Isaac will eventually crawl, walk, talk, etc..., but every little milestone holds such excitement. On Monday he began doing "baby push-ups" and by Wednesday he was rolling over from front to back. At first he would become stuck on his side, with his arm and leg kicking in the air and a look of panic on his face. Now he just rolls over, like he has been doing it forever. He rolls over and everyone claps and cheers. This does not amuse Isaac and he simply stares at us like we are idiots. It is good times. We are going to post a link to video so all of you can see this amazing accomplishment--I am sure you will want to cancel your subscription to Netflix and simply watch Isaac roll over again and again.

We left Searcy early this morning and had another uneventful trip home. After unpacking, we hauled in all things Christmas. The tree is up and decorated. I was so excited for Isaac to see it after his nap this afternoon. He just looked at it and then began chewing on his arm. I took that to mean he thought it to be the most beautiful tree ever. We also put up the majority of our outside decorations, which I will finish tomorrow. Tomorrow night will be the 5th Annual Phillips Family Lighting Ceremony where we flip the switch on all the Christmas decorations. Check your local paper for times.

I hope that all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know that part of the holiday season was ruined when Nick and Jessica formally announced their split. We had a moment of silence for them and for the fact that there is now no chance of another season of Newlyweds. Somehow we will move on.

Happy Holidays!

5 comments:

jenny biz said...

Glad you guys had a great trip!! Thanks also for joining me in mourning the break up of Nick and Jessica. Will we ever be the same??

Unknown said...

I just found out about Nick and Jess tonight. What a shocking surprise. No one could have EVER seen that coming over the last year. I'm sure that Joe will find a way to turn it into a multi-million dollar reality MTV deal about their sad and lonely separation, nasty and tumultuous divorce and then their ultimate reunion planned so originally on the top of the Empire State Building on New Year's Eve '06. Hmmm... I guess preachers turned managers who put "Sun-In" in their hair aren't really my thing.
So glad you had a Happy Thankgiving! Isaac is growing up too fast. I can't believe he's getting mobile.

Phillips Family said...

Girls, I also just heard that Talan from Laguna Beach and Kimberly Stewart just broke off their engagement. What examples of a committed relationship will we have left to follow??

Unknown said...

I guess I will turn to Britney and K-Fed to follow their loving and so strongly committed relationship.

Unknown said...

I, too, was sad about Nick and Jessica's announcement. I hate it when Us Weekly is correct!

Also, don't worry-someone forgot to tell Jackson about the warm, fuzzy holidays also. He was also a victim of overstimulation and pretty much slept all day today as a result. (We just got home last night).