Thursday, May 18, 2006

It's Thursday!


Thirteen Things I witnessed at Wal-Mart Today
1. A young couple taking one diaper from the package and leaving the package and it's remaining 35 diapers (not 36) behind. Classy.
2. A woman text-messaging someone (I am sure it was mega-important) and almost hitting several other shoppers with her cart. She would then proceed to glare at the other shopper as if he/she was the offender.
3. An older man wearing only a denim vest as his shirt. Not something I care to see again.
4. The only package of 9-12 month old socks had a large hole in the plastic and one sock was missing. Perhaps the couple from #1?
5. A man earnestly studying the Goody hair clip section--late Mother's Day gift perhaps?
6. A middle-aged Caucasian woman with one sweatpant leg rolled-up and the other leg down. Was it an LL Cool J reference and she was attempting to get a leg-up on her competition or was it for medical/comfort reasons?
7. An older man doing a very serious 7-pt. turn with his rather large truck in the parking lot when he could have easily gone either forward or backward.
8. Dessert Baby Food.
I have seen such a thing before, but everytime I see "Blueberry Buckle" or "Hawaiian Delight" I just shake my head. How can American children be anything but fat when companies market desserts for babies?
9. My child happily clinging to a large roll of Bounty as he talked and smiled in the cart.
10. Tom Cruise on the cover of "Good Housekeeping." Really? Aren't women completely over him?
11. Bedroom in a Box. Need to redo the boudior? Wal-Mart has it all in a box, ready to go.
12.An entire wall devoted to scrapbooking materials for your pet. Pets are great, but what about things to make my baby's 1st birthday invitation?
13. The couple from #1 changing their child in the middle of the aisle and then throwing the dirty diaper behind the packages of other diapers. Perhaps they forgot where the bathrooms were located...

13 comments:

Phillips Family said...

This was formatted and looked much better when I typed it. Why does Blogger feel the need to make life difficult for so many?

Unknown said...

Next week can you write 13 things you frequently find or see in a small town Wal-Mart? It sounds like the Grapevine Wal-Mart might give the Searcy store a run for it's money!

DKDFW said...

Sadie and I gave up on Walmart a loooooong time ago. We now believe in the greatness that is Super Target.

At the Walmart in Waco I once saw a 90 year old man who maybe weighed 100 pounds and had about 3 teeth. He was wearing a shirt that said "0 to Horny in 5 seconds". No lie.

Amy C said...

You have a gift of spicing up ordinary life. You crack me up.

Ashley said...

Sorry about the diapers...we had a new pacakge at home and forgot the change with us. Well, that baby food dessert runs right through Carley, so I needed to steal one diaper. After we changed it, I decided to leave the dirty one in its place...it isn't stealing, it is exchanging. :) Sorry I didn't say HI at Walmart, I guess I didn't recognize Tobe in his denim vest... :)

Pearson Family said...

Ashley is too funny! You really make me laugh fellow 13er!

Unknown said...

Gross about the diaper situation, but Ashley's comment is hilarious! I am in total agreement about the baby food dessert. It really is amazing! I love the Thursday Thirteen. Maybe I will join in someday.

Regarding your last post, that picture of Britney and poor Sean Preston disturbs me on many infant safety levels.

Shanta said...

Yesterday at Wal-mart, I saw "Crystal Light" candy. Kind of an oxymoron if you ask me.

Unknown said...

I'm starting to get pretty impressed by all your international blog readers.

jenny biz said...

Man, I never knew Wal-Mart could be so interesting. I need to be more observant!:)

Amy C said...

As I stand, with my hand in the air, I have a confession to make. I love dessert baby food, there, I said it. I have suffered in silence long enough. For those of you who disagree, try and sit down and eat a big bowl of blueberries. Just kidding, you would be really sorry ;)

Elizabeth said...

I love this post. Too funny and so true...I see this stuff all the time at our Walmart in The Colony. I would have given up on Walmart a long time ago too, but we have no Super Target.

Phillips Family said...

WOW! 12 Comments--this is a personal best for me (okay so one of those comments is from me, which is a bit loser especially considering it is the first comment)

Kelli--This happens to be the Southlake Wal-Mart, which is shocking considering such antics would not be approved at any other Southlake locations. There are some stories to tell about the Searcy Wal-Mart, but perhaps that will be another post, another day.

Don: How did that guy get Tobe's shirt?

Amy C.: We'll keep your baby food addiction quiet for now, but perhaps there is a rehab program somewhere out there for you.

Ashley: At Christmas this past year I did wittness a lady feeding her baby Dr. Pepper at your local Wal-Mart, so I understand where your behavior is coming from. You crack me up!

Kate: Join the Thursday 13 club. All the cool kids are doing it. You know you want to....

Shanta: Crystal Light candy is on the same aisle as "Whole Grain Cheetos."

Kelli (again): Only actually know three of the international readers. Wish the others would pop in and say "Hello"

Jenny: Update the blog so we know what's up with the Biz family :)

Elizabeth: Welcome!

Finally, Paige: What fun Thursday 13 is--great idea!