Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day Madness


Okay, so Mother's Day had no madness in it whatsoever, but sometimes I succumb to the pressure of the blogging world and feel the need to create witty titles. "Mothers Day 2006" just wasn't cutting it for me this morning, so I opted for drama and threw the word "madness" in my title. Can you tell it's Monday?

The Phillips' family had another great weekend. Friday we had a sprinkler system installed in our front yard, putting end to Tobe's torturous watering schedule (our front yard is the shape of Florida--sounds interesting until you try to water it with one movable sprinkler). Although the yard looks like it was ravaged by a mole, the system is in and working. Perhaps we will win "Yard of the Month" this year....

Friday night Tobe and I watched "Munich" after Isaac went to bed. Good movie, but very intense. It will make you think twice about becoming an undercover hitman for your country--not the glorious life it appears to be. The main idea that I drew from this movie is that although we do not like to think this, "terrorists" are people living everyday lives (in some regard) just like me. This movie illustrated how some of the men involved in the kidnapping and murder of Israeli athletes during the Munich Olympic games had "normal" lives---sending their kids off to school, pursuing hobbies, etc. I am still processing this movie and my thoughts about it.

Saturday the family went and voted in our local election. William D. Tate, our lovely mayor, was up for re-election and someone was actually running against him. We did our civic duty and voted, however I was a little upset that I did not get an "I voted today" sticker. Apparently those are only given to people who vote early. William D. won and our city is celebrating another victory for the Tate family. That evening I prepared a tapas-inspired meal for Tobe and our buddy Mark. We dined in front of the Mavs game, holding our breath in those final seconds as they barely pulled off a victory. I was disappointed to see that Eva Longoria was not there, sporting her "Tony" jeans (she has jeans that are bedazzled with Tony Parker's name--they are a bit unfortunate if you ask me).

Yesterday we had a great Mother's Day celebration with just the three of us. Tobe called me from the nursery after he went in to get Isaac for the morning. I walked in to find Isaac sitting in his crib, holding my Mother's Day present. Isaac looked so thrilled, as if he had come up with the idea himself. Tobe was incredibly thoughtful and got me a dozen roses, 1/2 dozen daisies, and Rachel Ray's new cookbook. Poor guy has to acknowledge my birthday, Mother's Day, and our anniversary all in a row. However, he always puts a lot of thought and effort into his presents and never goes for the standard gift. I am a lucky girl!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I really think this can be one of the hardest holidays for people. Some people have lost their mothers, some have lost children, some want to be mothers and can't, some do not have a great relationship with their mothers or perhaps with their children. If you happen to be in one of those categories, I pray that you found some joy in yesterday despite a negative situation. The Lord has blessed me greatly in the "Mother" department. I have a wonderful Mom who would drop anything for me and loves me unconditionally. Despite the fact that we have not lived in the same state for over ten years, she and I close friends and share many things together. She has shared the laughter and tears that come along with growing-up and has been an excellent example of what a Christian woman and mother should be. She hardly batted an eyelash when I told her I was going to college 500 miles away or going to live in Africa for two months rather than being home for summer break. When Tobe and I set a date to get married after only a week of dating (if you know the story it is not as crazy as that statement makes it seem) my mother booked the church without concern. She held my hand and cheered me on during childbirth and encouraged me in the first weeks of being a mom. What a blessing she is!

The Lord has also blessed me with incredible Grandmothers, a wonderful Mother-in-Law who will do anything for me (and often does before I even have a chance to ask), friends' Mothers who have loved and cared for me as their own, and "older" friends who have provided Motherly assistance when I desperately need it. God also blessed me with a woman who carried me in her womb for nine months, enduring the stigma of being an unwed mother in order to place me in a loving, Christian home. And now the Lord has blessed me with a precious baby boy to love and teach and raise to be a strong God-fearing man.

Happy Mother's Day
!

Mother's Day Last Year--seven months pregnant

Mother's Day This Year

I made Tobe pose for these pictures. They are quite "Hallmark-esque" and he tends to be more traditional in regards to picture poses. However, I think they are sweet.

Chillin' on Saturday, catching up on some important reading

Finally, here are some pictures from Isaac's nine month birthday. Poor guy tolerated his mother taking tons of pictures in 95 degree weather. What a trooper!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your sprinkler system has done amazing things in your yard. I especially love the fish pond, petite bridge with the hallmark photo of Tobe and Isaac and the luminous trees surrounding the grass. Glad you had a good day!

Unknown said...

I am glad that you had a good Mother's Day, and I liked reading all of the sweet things you said about the mothers in your life. It is also good to see that Isaac is still so stinkin' cute! I love seeing his precious pictures.

I am so glad that William D. Tate was reelected. Whatever would they do with one of Grapevine's main drags if he was not? Seriously, why would someone run against him? He is like a modern day town patriarch.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

happy mother's day! we had a mild, but fun celebration on our side the of the metroplex.

also, i have to add...GO MAVS!!!!