Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thirteen Things to Smile About

Okay, so the past 48 hours haven't been filled with parades and marching bands. Nor have they been filled with huge rain clouds and powerful lightening. However, they have been a bit hectic, stressful, and upsetting at times. Today I devote my "Thursday 13" to the things that have made me smile, regardless of the situations swirling around me.
1. Isaac has started practicing yoga. No, we did not sign up for Mommy and Me yoga class (although I would if it weren't $300 at the neighborhood Yoga Center). Isaac will get up on all fours--with arms straight and legs straight--with his head on the floor. Those yogis out there might know this pose as "Downward Facing Dog." Isaac will then pivot around, checking out the world from upside down. He can do this one-handed at times and can also fall into a sitting position from this angle. It is hysterical. I am trying to capture this feat on film, but he stops the moment I whip out the camera.
2. Grapevine Mills is opening a new Children's Place. We already have The Children's Place outlet, but now we are also getting a supersize Children's Place store. I love Children's Place because they carry little boys clothes that look like things little boys should wear and are free from scary puffy images or dump trucks splashed across them.
3. Isaac and I bid farewell this morning to the crossing guard we pass every day on our morning walk. I have become a bit attached to the thirty second conversation I have with this woman each morning. She even noted today that she had not seen us the past two days (due to the sickness). Have a great summer, Mrs. Crossing Guard!
4. I talked to my husband at least five times on the phone today. Normally I do not call him at work because he has an important job and I hate to disturb him. However, I kept having to either tell him something or ask him a question at various points throughout the day. It was nice to hear his voice during the day today.
6. Isaac spontaneously reached out, grabbed my face, and gave me a huge kiss this morning when I get him up from his nap.

7. This blog has allowed me to reconnect with many friends from my past. Yesterday one of these connections became very useful in getting out needed information regarding a serious situation.
8. Isaac's hair always makes me smile. His beautiful blonde hair has become seriously out of control. It has filled in on the sides and in the back nicely, but the top is starting to get thick and crazy. Without hair products the top of the hair, towards the crown, sticks straight up. The sides are now sticking out over his ears. The other night I was flipping channels when I happened upon a country music awards show. Brooks and Dunn were on stage. Isaac is currently sporting the same hairstyle as Brooks and it isn't pretty. Although this crazy hair makes me smile, I figure we will be on our way to the barber shop soon.
9. The Dixie Chicks' new album is greatness and it has been the soundtrack of our house since Tuesday. I know, I know---people hate the Dixie Chicks because of what Natalie said about the President. The Chicks are still in good favor here in the Phillips' household. I find it amusing that some people have become anti-Dixie Chicks yet most likely support other celebrities( by seeing their movies, buying their music, and viewing their shows) who promote such "infractions" as adultery, substance abuse, or objectification of women as opposed to anti-war sentiments. Tobe and I were in London days after Natalie made this statement. The vibes in Europe regarding the war in Iraq were much different than they were here at home. We actually attended a very large anti-war demonstration (where someone was carrying a large sign with a picture of Sean Connery that read, "Sean Says No." Random, but hysterical) in Trafalger Square during that trip. So this new album makes me smile and I still love my country. Also, I feel as if we have to support Natalie because she and Tobe attended the same middle school in Lubbock. I just know if we ever meet her that she will remember Tobe (because of his unique name and because they were in the minority at this school) and then we can become bestest friends with her.
10. Thinking about the season finale of Lost brings a huge smile to my face. For those international readers, stick with Lost although parts of season 2 can seem a bit tiresome. The finale was greatness! Also, anyone watch the finale on High Def TV? Apparently people with such viewing capabilities got an extra five seconds at the end of the show.
11. As I changed Isaac's diaper this morning, I watched the kids in our neighborhood run to school. It is the last day of school for Grapevine-Colleyville and kids are excited! Who doesn't love that feeling of the last day of school?
12. As I type this, Isaac is laying in the floor pulling CDs out one by one. He takes the time to study each CD before laying it on the ground and choosing another one. It is as if he is trying to select the perfect music for our day and is carefully reading each playlist. Like his father, he understands the gentle nature one needs to use when handling the CD collection and he is being quite careful with each one.
13. Finally, the thing that has made me smile the most in the past 48 hours is knowing that a dear family friend is safe today. My mom's best friend was in a terrible car accident Wednesday morning and things were looking grave at first. Although this friend has numerous injuries and broken bones, it appears that she will recover and we will continue to be blessed by her presence in our lives.
What has made you smile today?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Is Lubbock or Leave it your favorite? I love the song Not Ready to Make Nice. I'll take the Dixie Chicks standing up for their beliefs any day over those ridiculous stunts and interviews with Tom Cruise. It sounds like you were able to find some sweet things in a stressful day. I hope things have calmed down for you guys

Phillips Family said...

Right now, my favorites are Taking the Long Way and Not Ready to Make Nice.

Pearson Family said...

Smile, having parker refer to me as MOM. I am not sure what I think about it, but it does make me smile.

Bev Ross said...

It has totally made me smile to read your blog! Hope your precious son is better soon!

jenny biz said...

Malaya and her friend jumping on my bed to wake me up. It worked!!:)

1literatimommy said...

It makes me smile knowing I go to church with someone who loves the Dixie Chicks, too. I'm going to purchase the new cd today!

Unknown said...

By the way, it makes me smile to hear Ethan in his carseat singing at the top of his lungs "God is so good." (the Veggie Tales version)

Jennifer Schroeder said...

I hate to ditto the comment from above, but reading your blog entry always makes me smile (actually giggle).

As for the job, I am teaching at Dallas Christian, and then I am going to be paid (yes, given actual money) for the work I do at church.