Friday, June 16, 2006

13

Thirteen Reasons Why I Did Not do My Thursday 13 Yesterday
(Blogger is not letting me put in my cute graphic or any pictures....ugh!)

1. The majority of the day I honestly thought it was Friday. Some days just feel like other days for some unexplained reason. For example, all day Wednesday I kept thinking it was Thursday. For some reason my mind kept wanting to fast-forward a day this week.

2. Teeth. Isaac's two bottom teeth are almost all the way in and now his top two teeth are starting to poke through as well. This child will have gone from having no teeth to having six in a month and a half. Although we are happy to see these pearly wonders, they do make for a sad baby at times.

3. The maid did not show up. We actually don't have a maid, so it really should not surprise me that she did not show up on our stoop with mop and bucket in hand. Because we do not have a maid, I was forced to dust, mop, clean, sweep, scrub, and tidy the house. (Don't you like how I used the word forced as if a large man with a gun stood behind me the whole time?).

4. Brush fires, traffic, and construction. Yesterday Isaac and I had to travel to Dallas (do you like how I make that seem SOOOOOOO far away when it is only about a 15-20 minute drive for us?). On the way we passed a brush fire off of 114. No one was helping the fire and people just casually drove right on past. I hoped other people were whipping out their cell phones (we don't have one--that is another post for another day) to call 911. However, I did point out the fire to Isaac and did my parental job of explaining how dangerous playing with matches can be. I then recounted the story of how PopPop and his twin brother played with matches as little boys and set a whole hill on fire. (This is my favorite story for my dad and uncle to tell at family gatherings because they attempted to put out the fire and went home, only to look out the bathroom window and see smoke in the distance. They then told their parents, who in turn asked the neighbors to come help put out the fire. The neighbor who came to help was a smoker and one of his lungs collapsed while attempting to help put the fire out. The neighbor did recover and live a long and fruitful life.) The traffic and construction were just the normal DFW driving nightmares and delayed our trip by about ten minutes. Because I was in the car longer than expected, no time to blog later in the day.

5. I spent a good part of the morning teaching my ten month old to say "Hi-yah" and do a karate chop. You might be wondering why I was not teaching him something with a little more value. He actually was already making the "Hi-yah" sound and I just started mimicking him. Now I can whisper it and he will whisper it back. This goes on for a good solid three minutes until he gets bored and goes and finds something else to play with. My child might not be able to say "Dada" but he will be prepared for Karate class one day.

6. Mavs game.

7. Father's Day is Sunday and I was attempting to find the missing piece to Tobe's fabulous Father's Day gift. I finally found what I needed after days of searching. Obviously I cannot report what it was as Tobe is a faithful reader of this blog. I would like to say that one place I had to go in search of this portion of the present I witnessed a man purchasing two BOATS for gifts for his Father. Sorry, Tobe, you aren't getting a boat. (In response to what I got him for our anniversary, it was a wooden men's valet with his initials etched in glass to hold his wallet, keys, IPOD, etc.. It finally arrived!)

8. We have company! My mom is here visiting for an extended weekend stay! Isaac is quite happy to have a new face around the house as he sometimes gets bored just looking at me. He was so excited to have her join our morning hike. However, Isaac isn't a great roommate and woke her up a few times in the middle of the night talking.

9. Birthday shopping. Although we have a month and 1/2 until the big first birthday, Mom and I felt the need to start our birthday shopping last night after Isaac went to sleep. We left the boys at home to fend for themselves and headed out to Babies R Us and Target. My mom picked out some presents to leave here until the party. Shopping for a toddler is a bit more exciting than scoping out the teething and rattle toys on the baby aisles. Fortunately we live in a small house or I would be tempted to buy every cool toy in sight!

10. Sonic. When my mom visits, we feel the need to make several Sonic runs. This can be quite time consuming and kept me away from the computer the majority of the day.

11. Chicken Pomodoro. Since my mom was here, I wanted to cook a special meal for us all to enjoy together. I love Chicken Pomodoro and re-created the dish at home. The original recipe calls for vodka to deglaze the pan after cooking the chicken. I feel like I have competent cooking skills but I am still fearful of cooking with alcohol. I love my eyebrows and painted kitchen walls too much to attempt to burn off an alcohol flame in my saute pan. I substituted chicken broth for the alcohol and the end result was still tasty. (and I still have my eyebrows)

12. Surviving Motherhood. No this isn't the title of my life right now. It is a new show on TLC. I am a big fan of this show. I schedule my daily cleaning of the kitchen around it so I can clean the kitchen and watch the show at the same time. I highly recommend this show because it shows real moms and their current problem with their children. Other moms throw their two cents in about solutions and then an expert provides advice.

13.I kept repeatedly checking me email to see if my inbox held an electronic transcription from my former roomie who was finding out the sex of her baby yesterday. We finally got word late yesterday afternoon and I am THRILLED with the findings!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My Mom burned off her eyebrows as a child while cooking and they never really grew back! What is Leigh Ann having?

Phillips Family said...

A BOY!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah for boys. She'll have a lot of fun with him!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have been busy! Sorry about Isaac's teething. Jackson is working on tooth number 7. The teething business is no fun.

So, what are you going to get Isaac for his birthday? I have already purchased a few things for Jackson even though the last thing he needs are more toys.

Good thing the chicken broth worked out for you. I actually really enjoy cooking with alcohol. No eyebrows have been sacrificed to date, but I will continue living on the wild side!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Due to the simple fact that you know what deglazing a pan is puts me in complete and total AWE of you.