Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hodge Podge

No the computer's not in the shop. Perhaps it should be due to my lack of consistent blogging. Many things to say today since my last post, so hang on for a bumpy ride!

June 6, 2006 came and went for the world without much chaos. Along with many other Americans, I heard the local news programs hype this ominous date. I saw the interviews of women holding babies in until the 7th and those proud to deliver on the 6th. I have seen the countless promotions for The Omen (By the way, WHO allows their child to play the role of Dameon?). June 6, 2006 meant the stomach bug for Tobe and me. Although not the end of the world, at times we were hoping for it. Tobe came home Monday night from work feeling icky but was fine by bedtime. Tuesday afternoon he called before he left the office to tell me he was on his way and that once again he was not feeling good. About thirty minutes later, I began to not feel well. At the time, I considered it to be sympathy pains and low blood sugar and then proceeded to make a large batch of chocolate cupcakes for a friend. By 5:30pm, Tobe and I were both incredibly sick and had each claimed a restroom for our own and the cupcakes were abandoned in the kitchen. By 6:30pm, Isaac was on his second viewing of Baby Einstein World Animals (something we never do) and we decided to call Tobe's mom to see if she happened to be in our area. By God's blessing she was almost to her office--where she thought she forgot something--rather than at home. Her office is only 10 minutes from our house (as opposed to the 30 minute drive that separates our two homes) and she offered to come over and bathe and bed the baby. She arrived and saved the day before Isaac had to watch World Animals for the third time. After the baby was down she went and picked up the medicine my dad had prescribed and the essential Sprite and crackers. She then made sure we were covered with blankets and cleaned up the kitchen from my cupcake baking that had come to an abrupt end earlier. At the ages of 30 and 29, Tobe and I sure were glad to have a mom around. It was a long night for the two of us, at one point around 2am we were both lying in bed with a package of crackers between us attempting to eat a few bites. By the morning, we were feeling better and Tobe was fortunate enough to work from home. I used the old rule "sleep when the baby sleeps" (I know this is a rule for newborns and new moms, but I never utilized it then and figured now was a great time) and napped both times Isaac did yesterday. Today we are both feeling good and pray that Isaac has been spared this nasty bug. The ironic thing??? About an hour before the bug hit me, I was on the phone with Alison and we had been discussing what we would really do with our respective children if both us and the husband become seriously ill at the same time. Now I know.

And, if you check your trusty calendar you will note that today is Thursday. Here is my 13, in honor of our five year wedding anniversary which is tomorrow.

Thirteen Things I was Doing This Time Five Years Ago
(the day before I married Tobe)
13. Running errands in my car, windows down, blaring "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child
12. Eating at the Cookie Basket with my mom, dad, and lil Laura
11. Seeing the final touches finished on the decorations at the church
10. Welcoming all of our out-of-town guests
9. Holding sweet baby
Matthew who was only about three months old at the time
8. Attempting to take a nap before the rehearsal dinner, but being too excited to sleep
7. Arriving at the rehearsal dinner to discover that it had been decorated in a Texas/Arkansas theme by Tobe's parents (it had been a surprise until the big unveiling--it was worth the wait! We loved it!)
6. Hanging out with all of my best high school friends and college friends together
5. Hearing one of the groomsman insult my hometown to a fellow ACU alumni bridesmaid. What this groomsman did not know was that the bridesmaid was also from my hometown. His attempt to cover-up this mistake was priceless.
4. Getting to have another bridal shower after the rehearsal dinner with Tobe's family
3. Posing in front of the hotel marquee with Tobe that read,
"Congratulations Tobe and Lynley."
2. Putting the final touches on my honeymoon packing with my Matron-of-Honor, Alison
1. Going to bed knowing that I was making the perfect decision in marrying Tobe the next day and that we had the full support of our parents, extended family, and friends.

7 comments:

1literatimommy said...

those are sweet memories. it is amazing you were so calm, cool and collected before the big day!

Unknown said...

First of all, I'm devastated I missed out on chocolate cupcakes, my alltime favorite treat ever. But I appreciate your thoughtfulness to make them and am so happy you both are feeling better and have family close to help out. Thanks for the shout to Matthew- I had a great time at your wedding. It was fun and it was my first time to show off my new precious baby. I took him down to the lobby after your wedding in his precious blue ABC pjs so that everyone could enjoy his preciousness! I hope you guys have a very happy anniversary and enjoy your fondue!!

Unknown said...

And of course thanks for the pizza-very thoughtful to send it our way. Especially since the sound of pep pizza probably made your stomach curdle!!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

happy anniversary!!!!

Phillips Family said...

Kelli--How thoughtful of you to remember that we eat fondue every year on our anniversary! I will make you another batch of the cupcakes soon--ones that are not infected with the stomach bug!

Alison said...

Happy anniversary tomorrow! I have fond memories of your wedding, especially when you cut your finger on your bouquet and desperatly tried to not get it on your wedding dress! Have an enjoyable virus-free evening! By the way, the victim count is now up to 7 (that I know of). This elite group includes Morgan, Isaac, you, Tobe, Greg, my mom, and Kara. I'm still hoping I won't join the club!

Pearson Family said...

Happy Anniversary. I am glad you are feeling better!