Friday, June 23, 2006

The streamers and yard signs have come down and a phase of life is over for another Phillips' family member. Tobe's younger sister, Rachel, graduated from high school Wednesday night. As always, this occasion was celebrated with food, cake, and ice cream (and Big Red, if you are on that side of the family--or if you are my Grandmother who is now a Big Red drinker thanks to Tobe's grandparents). I have known Rachel since she was either in fourth or fifth grade (too early to do the math) and have watched her grow over the years. Her love for animals is unyielding and her ability to talk with anyone is admirable. If you are in need of a loan, she is the new recipient of lots of cash and Target gift cards. I am sure she won't mind sharing. I realized that I had never made a craft for Rachel (she had been spared up until this point), so I made a photo collage of her growing up years to put on display at the party. It is always fun to see pictures of one's husband and his family when he was just a kid. Although Isaac and I did not attend the actual graduation ceremony, we had lots of fun at the party. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Rachel with her cake

Rachel in her cap and gownIsaac eating his supper--which consisted of two bananas, the only thing he would eat for some reason--- in the middle of the living room. Only at Nana and Papa's does one get to eat in the living room!

Hanging with Mom on the couchChillin' with cousin Britany

As we Mavericks fans lick our wounds and gear up high hopes for next season, I can't help but wonder what companies do with what I call "losing shirts." For instance, had there been a game seven I have no doubt that manufacturers in both Dallas and Miami would have already printed up "National Champions" shirts, mugs, flags, decals, and trapper keepers to have on the shelves the next morning in case their team won. Obviously, someone brings a big box of such paraphernalia for the winning team to sport immediately after their victory. What happens to the losing team's box? Are these bogus "National Champions" shirts and hats burned? If I go on vacation to the heart of South America, will I see the indigenous villagers sporting "Seattle Seahawks: Super Bowl Champions 2006 " shirts that were dropped by relief workers? One of the summers I lived in Africa, I noticed someone had a Rick Ashley patch (the singer--not the preacher from North Richland Hills Church of Christ--I get the names confused) mending a hole in his shirt. After quietly giggling to myself over the fact that some company actually manufactured a Rick Ashley patch and once I sang a few lines of "Never Going to Give You Up", I wondered how such things make it half way across the world. I do hope that sports teams donate such rejected shirts to a good cause rather than simply destroying them. Don't think I won't smile one day when I return to Africa and see a Masai warrior sporting his "Dallas Mavericks National Champions 2006" hat.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah Rachel! Congrats to her! It's always shocking to see a picture of Rachel since she is a 4th grader in my head. I'm proud of her.

By the way, it's been about 3 years since he had these, but Scott asked me recently if I would ask you for your roast tacos recipe. Do you even know what I'm talking about? I vaguely remember a crock pot and flour tortillas.

Phillips Family said...

Are these the taco/burritos I made for Paige when Parker was born or did you have them at our house? I am racking my brain and will see what I can come up with....

TTidmore said...

Phillip's family,

Good to hear from you. Glad you found our blog. Your son is awfully cute. I am sure you are enjoying parenthood as much as we are. I just googled "Phillip's Family: Grapevine Chapter" and it took me to a blog from Jan. when you were talking about Dancing with the Stars and the Lachey brothers. Heather and I were also huge Newlywed fans. Don't you feel sorry for Drew now. Aren't you a little mad at Jessica? I am glad to know that other well educated, good people also like MTV reality shows.

Hope all is well with your family.

Taylor Tidmore

Pearson Family said...

LOVED the burritos! We eat them about every 2 months at our house. I dislike the shredding of the beef though. It is like a work out! Thanks for bringing us GREAT FOOD friend. You look beautiful in the picture. I did notice the bangs pulled back! HA!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure- I am not sure what you brought Paige. I think we had them at your house about 3 years ago. I think Mark was there. I know I'm providing such a vivid picture with such engaging and specific details.

Alison said...

Alright, it's official. I need the mystery taco recipie, too. They sound great!

How cool is it that Taylor commented on your blog! I can't believe they have 2 kids now!

Amy C said...

That's a beautiful pic of you on the couch. I wish I was more photogenic.