Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lubbock or Leave It...

My child is now quite mobile and I will use that as my excuse for the span of days that pass between each post. If I head towards the study, Isaac races towards the kitchen where he has found the joy that is opening and closing the cabinet doors. If I am putting sheets on my bed, he is attempting to unplug the fan in his room. And so it begins....

Saturday morning Tobe and I headed for the spacious plains of Lubbock, Texas for his cousin, Bubba's wedding. My mom stayed behind at our house with Isaac. I felt like I should not drag a ten month old to a wedding, especially considering I did not allow children at my own nuptials. Because we weren't in a hurry, Tobe and I were able to take our time in getting to Lubbock. There was no child in the backseat to feed or entertain, which also allowed us to enjoy the road trip (however, we often looked back at the empty seat and talked about how much we missed Isaac). We stopped at the famous SmokeStack Restaurant in Thurber and took the time to read all the historical markers in this legendary ghost town. We noticed that the museum they had been advertising all during the time we were in college was finally built and open for business. We decided to research the history of Thurber some more and visit the museum on another trek to Lubbock.

The ACU Tower of Light beckoned us from I-20 so we stopped at the campus. It was dead considering it was a Saturday in the summer. We snuck in Chambers Hall, the site of our psychology education. I attempted to break into the classroom where supposedly the poster of my thesis resides but my attempts were futile. We marveled at the changes on campus, from the new dorm to the Larry Sanders Memorial Field ("memorial" although Larry is quite alive). The library was locked tight so we could not see the impressive downstairs study area, complete with Starbucks and wireless internet. We then headed over to the Campus Center, where the clocks above the entrance to the Bean are still set to the wrong times and the club boards are now moved downstairs. Of course we each had to read our respective club board, despite the fact we knew no one and neither had been in club in over five years. We jumped in the car and took a drive down the famous Washington Blvd, noting that University Church has now bought out several blocks and made an impressive expansion. 1017 Washington Blvd still sat in all her glory, with Peeper still living two houses down. We checked out Tobe's old houses on North 10th and 12th street. A couch still resides on the porch of the house on 12th that was put there by the residents who moved in after Tobe in 1999. The Taco Bell mat is still missing from the doorstep though.

Hunger called us and we decided to eat at one of the famous Abilene establishments. Because it was too hot for Towne crier cheese soup, we opted for Joe Allen's. As we drove down Treadaway, we noticed that Joe Allens was closed. Not only closed, but MOVED! Gone are the days of the crowded dirt parking lot and hot atmosphere as you wait to order your prized sausage plate. Apparently we missed the memo that Joe Allen built a new building next door to Cahoots. It is nice, but it wasn't the same for us. Where is the bread drawer or the vegetable bar? When I went to the restroom I did not have to wait outside the door three feet from the meat pit. Although the food was just as good, the atmosphere was completely different. Tobe and I both hate change so we had a hard time with this new location.

We made it to Lubbock in time to change clothes in a secluded parking lot and brush our teeth at a Starbucks. The wedding was beautiful and the food and drink flowed at the reception. We spent the night at Tobe's grandparents' farm and headed back for DFW the next morning after breakfast (and missed seeing some Blogging friends at Broadway :( ) . Isaac was glad to see us and was sporting his "I Heart Daddy" onesie. Tobe had a nice Father's Day and enjoyed his gifts (new Mavericks wear for the entire family and a picture of Isaac).

Isaac has switched from his rolling/army crawl/yoga to almost a full crawl all the time. Friday night Tobe was having Isaac find him in the hallway and they would chase each other. When Tobe would stop playing, Isaac would sign "more." Too cute. Tobe was quite excited that Isaac finally wants to "rough house" --- something he has wanted since we came home from the hospital. Isaac can also brush his own hair. If we hand him the baby brush and say, "Brush your hair." he will hold the brush up and brush behind his ear. Again, too cute. If there is a pile of toys, you can say, "Isaac find your book." and he will search out until he finds a board book. Sunday night before bath and bedtime, Isaac spent at least 30 minutes putting assorted toys into his yellow shape sorter canister and taking them out to rearrange the positioning of each block. It was quite fascinating to watch and we all really wondered what was going on in that little mind of his. The whole time he was sorting, he had quite the serious expression on his face. Isaac also has a new toy called "Monkey Chase". It is a battery-operated Monkey that moves when baby hits one of its arms. The purpose of Monkey Chase is to encourage baby to crawl. Isaac likes this toys as long as Monkey doesn't turn around and come back towards him, as it is known to do. When Monkey starts chasing Isaac, he begins to cry and attempt to get to me to be "saved."

Finally, did anyone catch the Matt Lauer and Brittany Spears interview Friday night on Dateline? My mother and I saw the last twenty minutes and it was a train wreck. Tobe described Brittany's appearance correctly when he said she appeared to have just returned from shopping at Wal-Mart. Does she not have a stylist or the money to hire one? She was wearing flip-flops, a jean skirt with thighs currently not able to sport a mini-skirt, and a plunging gauzy purple shirt. Yikes. I also think Baby Sean Preston has been pulling on her extensions because they were quite noticeable in the back. When Matt questioned her about the driving incident with Sean in her lap, she at first used the "Papparazi chasing me" excuse and then went on to say, "My dad used to drive with me in his lap all the time. We are country." Oh dear. This woman is about to have a second child. I am starting to wonder if K-Fed IS the better example in this mismatched family.

I have pictures to post on here today, but Blogger is not letting me. I will attempt to add them later this afternoon when the Lord has blessed me with more patience.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Sorry we missed you on your trip! Next time (when you are here for more than 24 hours), you have to come play.

I saw the interview and my thoughts afterwards were, "Man, she is so whacked out now!" She appeared emotionally unstable, mentally unstable, and fashion unstable. That shirt showed too much of her "girls" and I couldn't stand her answers to Matt's questions.

What a crazy person!

Unknown said...

Shane and I were in Abilene the week before last and we had to check out 1017 Washington, too. Luckily, I didn't see peeper.

Did you see the new lighted track circling ACU? We walked around it and marveled at the nice statues, though we weren't sure what they represented. Also, did you know that there's also a "Sharon Allen's?" That's where the barbecue is served! How odd.

Was this your first time away from Isaac?!!

Unknown said...

I cannot even imagine Joe Allens in a brand new restaurant....do you still sit at picnic tables with rolls of paper towels at the table? And no bread drawer and veggie bar- what in the world!??!

Sounds like a super fun weekend and Isaac is totally adorable in that Mav's outfit! He will surely break some hearts one day...

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about having an "officially mobile" child. That was actually the title of my last post. Keep those bathroom doors shut!

I saw part of the interview with Britney Spears, and I thought she certainly could have used some wardrobe help. The thing that bothered me the most was that you could see up her skirt when she would uncross her legs and recross them. Disgusting, and I certainly did not feel like she did much to improve her image. In fact, just the other day, I read that she changed her son's diaper next to the cash registers at Victoria's Secret and tried to hand the sales associate the dirty diaper (she refused). Who knows if it is true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it!

Also, here is the scoop on Joe/Sharon Allen's. Living in Abilene you hear all about their lives as they pretty much hold celebrity status. In the divorce, Sharon got Lytle Land and Cattle, and Joe got Joe Allen's. Sharon later opened Sharon Allen's BBQ (I believe it is going on a year of being open), which is very similar to Joe Allen's right down to the way the menu looks on the inside of the restaurant. They also have a larger menu selection. Perhaps people started preferring the cleanliness of Sharon's? I don't know, but a couple of months ago, Joe Allen's moved to a new location. I haven't been there yet, but it doesn't sound like the same old Joe Allen's I love!

Phillips Family said...

Despite our education, Tobe and I were unable to find the walking track. How stupid are we? Where exactly is it and what does it look like? Also, any reader know what the huge stone thing is in front of McDonald dorm? Our best guess was a piece of the old GATA fountain (which apparently we have a piece of in our attic--who knew?).

Unknown said...

So funny that you couldn't find the walking track! It is just a big white sidewalk that actually goes all the way around campus. You were right there as the large stone thing is on one side of it. There are several large "pillars" around the track. I can't figure out why they put them up. If someone knows, please enlighten us!

The Binkley Family said...

Too bad we missed you guys on your whirlwind trip to our windy city! Next time, maybe you can stop through Brownwood for the night and break up the trip, since that is where we will be in exactly two weeks!

Gary likes to take me to his old stomping grounds at ACU every now and then. It is fun to see everything!

Phillips Family said...

Jennifer--At one point during our road trip, Tobe did tell me (again) how Gary can quote Top Gun from beginning to end and how he broke his ankle playing basketball.

Unknown said...

If memory serves, I think he broke his ankle playing nerf basketball in his living room.

The Binkley Family said...

Do you know that we watched Top Gun at his apartment on our first date? His ankles are so bad that he sprains them every couple of weeks. I am resigned to the idea of having him in a wheelchair by 40!