Thursday, June 01, 2006


Thirteen Things I Contemplated at the Salon this Afternoon
The tresses were in need of a major trim (about a month ago, but who's counting...), so once Tobe came home I was off to the salon. Getting one's hair done is a great time for reflection. Here are some of my thoughts during that hour....
1. If I ever win the lottery, I will pay someone to blow-out my hair everyday. Wouldn't it be nice to look fabulous while someone else did all the work?
(I often say the phrase, "If I ever win the lottery....." I have grand plans for the millions I might one day win. However, we never play the lottery so you would think I would stop such dreaming.)
2. The place where I had my hair cut (The Renata) used to be a funeral parlor back in the day. Aside from the creepiness factor, I was quite interested in the history of this old house. It got me thinking....In 60 years will I be driving around Grapevine and say "Oh, they turned the old Target into this" or "Wow! The McDonalds/Shell station is now a hotel". I think it is fascinating how towns utilize their resources and recreate buildings rather than demolishing structures and putting up new ones. Read more about Grapevine's buildings and their history here.
3. The Super Suppers next door to the salon was having an Open House tonight. A local catering company was bringing in food. Uh, shouldn't they have made their own food as that is their business?
4. Wouldn't it be nice if I could sit here and just have my hair washed, cut, and styled without having to make small talk?
5. The salon is located in a three story house built in the late 1800's (those who clicked on my link above already knew this). How miserable would it have been to live in one of those top stories during a Texas summer in pre-airconditioning times?
6. If I win the lottery (see how often I have this thought), I am buying the bed and breakfast across the street. Wouldn't Isaac have great stories to tell about a childhood spent in a Bed and Breakfast?
7. Is the hairstylist going to refill my glass of complimentary wine or am I supposed to savor every last drop and go on my merry way?
8. Has Tobe remembered to feed Isaac dinner?
(No worries, he did. Why do Moms have these irrational fears about their husbands being incompetent? Tobe has never forgotten anything about Isaac and is an excellent father. I believe hospitals are required to mix in some form of liquid panic into your IV while in labor....at least that is my excuse.)
9. On our current income, could I afford to have someone blow-out my hair possibly every third day? (No.)
10. Why has the hair dresser misunderstood "side-swept bangs that start at the cheekbone" for "side-swept bangs that start above the eyebrow"?
11. Are headbands in style? I am going to need quite a few as I grow out these bangs I seem to have now.
12. Why is the other hairstylists showing me the large, gaping wound in her lower lip that was the result of her car accident last night? Perhaps it should be a rule that you should not show someone the inside of your mouth prior to knowing that individual.
13. Why hasn't anyone in our family gone to a prestigious hair dressing academy so I can get free haircuts? It really is selfish of them to put their life's ambitions before my desire for a top quality trim for nothing.
******************************************************
Changing the subject, has anyone else watched the train-wreck known as "Game Show Marathon." I know I was one of the few Americans who watched all three aired episodes of "Celebrity Cooking Challenge" before it was yanked off the air. Game Show Marathon seemed to be a good idea---mix old gameshows together and throw in some celebrities. Yet, CBS felt like Rickie Lake would be a great host and the only celebrities they could find were Lance Bass (guess the dreams of becoming an astronaut have died), a very aged Leslie Neilson, Paige Davis (finally back on TV), some Baywatch cast-off (selected mainly for her assets), and Tim Meadows who looks like he would rather have his head in a toilet than to be on the show. We watched about twenty minutes of the show last night because they were playing Price is Right. Tonight I caught about five minutes and immediately changed the channel when I noticed that Lance Bass was dressed as a banana. God bless summer TV.

12 comments:

Jennifer Schroeder said...

My dream has always been to have someone blow-out my hair each day. In college, my WONDERFUL roommates would periodically dry my hair for me. I had the world's best friends.

Unknown said...

Gross about the gaping wound! I think you should post a picture of your new haircut. I, too, dream about winning the lottery. So far, my plans include a maid, a hairstylist and many pairs of expensive shoes. We will see where I end up on those items.

Your post makes me miss Grapevine Main Street! I remember it from before it became super cool like it is now. My Main Street memories from when I was little consist of many trips to Braums after dance recitals and any other special program as well as many, many trips to the library. We did also eat a Willhoites occasionally.

Unknown said...

I meant that we ate at Willhoites. Had we actually eaten "a" Willhoites, my entire family would probably be dead.

Amy C said...

Maybe the place you get your hair cut is the same funeral salon that my mother in law had our rehersal dinner at. Creepy indeed.

Ashley said...

I play the "If I win the Lottery game" all the time. The sad thing for me is deep down, I really think I will win...even though I don't even buy tickets.

Amber Smith said...

Lynley-
This post really hit home. I had my haircut last week (not at such an interesting place as the Renata), but was thinking some of the exact same things. My dream would be to have a professional hairstylist every day as well. My hair never looks as good when I try to fix it myself! I spent over an hour in the chair while my stylist was telling me all about the hair show/conference she had just been to. I was also hoping for a little less chit chat. Something I learned from my hairdresser last week. She informed me that she had to practice her FORM. That means she is supposed to ask me about my F-family O-occupation R-Recreational habits M-meaningful activities. My point is, I guess these hair shows coach these stylists to talk to their clients, sometimes it is just a little too much information.

Pearson Family said...

I always love to read your posts! I love to get my hair done as well. Luckily, my sister did go into the biz, so I get to call her up and say, HEY I NEED NEW HAIR! She works in Dallas, not too close to us, but if you ever want a drive...

Alison said...

That's funny, because seeing Lance Bass in a banana costume actually kept me watching the Gameshow Marathon! I only wish that JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey had been there to complete a whole fruit basket theme!

Phillips Family said...

Paige--I have often considered giving Lauren a call for my next hairstyle. The Galleria isn't too far and your hair always looks fab.

The Honey Family said...

I am so sad for Lance Bass. I once had a huge crush on him and poor Kris had to listen to me say - I LOVE *NSYNC. O to be 21 and acting like a 12 year old again. I got my age reversed I believe. Kris has been thru a lot of those phases with me. I still get super excited about teen pop music and will soon be 30. Natasha Bedingford, Rihanna, and Nick Lachey (I do love some Pop).

Don't feel too sorry for Kris - he loves Shakira... And that's bad to me. (and I've caught him watching E-entertainment news or "The Soup" or EXTRA.

Ashley said...

Your mother-in-law is always so sweet. I am ready for you and Isaac to make a trip to Lubbock so Carley and Isaac can play at the park!

Pearson Family said...

Thanks for the compliment on the hair! Lauren doesn't work at the galleria any more, she is at a new hip salon gallery on McKinney Ave. Uptown Dallas. Let me know if you need her digits. Digits. Too funny.