Tuesday, June 27, 2006

New Baby Pizza

After I typed the title to my post, I quickly realized that giving a dish such a name is quite unappetizing. Sorry. Here is a recipe for a pizza braid that I usually take to new moms and make for our friend Mark.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced mushrooms
1 cup chopped pepperoni
1 cup cooked sausage, crumbled
1-2 cups cheese (depending how on much cheese you like. The type of cheese can be your choice as well. I like some of the new blends by Sargento)
Palmful of Italian Seasoning (can substitute half palm of oregano and half palm of basil, plus pinch of salt)
1/4 cup Pizza sauce (save the rest for dipping)
1 Package of instant Pizza Crust

Mix the pizza crust according to the directions on the package and set aside to rise.

Combine bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage, cheese, and seasonings together in big bowl. Set aside.

Take out pizza crust dough and roll out on floured surface. I just roll this out on my Pampered Chef rectangle stone. Roll the dough into a rectangle shape. Spoon the pizza sauce down the center, then follow with the ingredients mixture. You should have a good two inches of dough remaining on each side. Take a pair of scissors and cut even strips on each side of the remaining dough (you aren't cutting the strips off--simply cutting into the dough up to the ingredients in the center). Now the fun part--braid the strips of dough up over the top of the ingredients. The end result should look like a stuffed loaf of braided bread. You should no longer be able to see the ingredients. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees. Cut into slices and serve with remaining pizza sauce.

Hopefully this makes sense. I realized as I started typing that it is quite hard to convey how to braid bread dough. You can also substitute Rhodes Bread Dough for the instant pizza crust mix. If you use Rhodes Roll Dough, you can make mini calzones rather than a pizza braid. I am thinking of attempting a pizza ravioli by using the ingredient mixture stuffed into wonton wrappers. Not sure how that one will work yet, but will let you know.


Here are some new pictures of Isaac, because a pizza recipe post is boring by itself. After being unusually fussy at dinner last night and refusing to eat the majority of his food, Isaac threw-up. Fortunately I was holding him at the time so it only got over the two of us and no carpet or toys. However, he was fine afterwards and continues to be a happy baby today. Because he does have this tendency to throw-up at times, Tobe and I have the clean-up system down to a science. In 20 minutes we had the mess cleaned up, the baby bathed, and we were all relaxing in the study. Do you think this could get us a spot on David Hasselfhoff's new show, "America's Got Talent"?


New favorite position to sleep--feet sticking out of the crib

Favorite pastime--reading books

Moved on past board books and is now into Mommy and Daddy's literary collection

7 comments:

Alison said...

Tell Isaac that Greg has that yellow shirt also. Is Isaac's a onsie like Greg's? :)

Unknown said...

Maybe he'll be a librarian someday, or maybe he'll be the editor for his mom's books?!! ;) The recipe sounds great. Thanks.

MDM said...

I must admit when i saw the title, I thought Tom Cruise's Placenta Pizza....oooh.

Unknown said...

I love this recipe. I made up a "taco" mix to use with it too one time in my Rhodes roll dough. I just threw all kinds of stuff in with my browned hamburger meat and topped with crushed tortilla chips. Ethan threw up twice today-he averages about 2 a week. We should share throw-up cleaning tips.

The Binkley Family said...

The pizza recipe is great! Gary would actually eat that. I will have to try it out after we get moved and I am back to buying groceries again!

Phillips Family said...

This recipe is quite versital. You can use broccoli, ham, swiss cheese, and some dijon mustard and also make a great stuffed braid. Or you can do the Taco route like Kelli suggested.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Lynley, this sounds DELICIOUS! Do you think it would freeze well? (We have a dinner exchange club with some church girls, and this would be a yummy one to make next month...we exchange everything already frozen though.) Let me know what you think!! :)