Saturday, June 24, 2006

Viva el Burrito!!!

This recipe has been collecting dust over the years because I forgot about it. I enjoy cooking and Tobe enjoys eating, so we tend to have a wide variety of things. Although this is good in that we rarely get bored with the same suppers, I often forget things that I made. Big thanks to Kelli for reminding me about this recipe! Tobe bought me a little journal as one of my Christmas presents this year so I could record each nights supper in order to remember what I cooked throughout the year.

So, here is the recipe for the crock-pot burritos Kelli mentioned in my last blog. I am going to officially name them "Parker's Burritos" because I first made these for Paige and Stacey when they brought sweet Parker home from the hospital.

Ingredients
1 Large Onion (I use about half, but you can use the whole thing if desired)
3-4 LBS Sirloin Roast Beef (not Lunch meat, but an actual "Sunday roast")
1/2 cup water
2 Pkgs Taco Seasoning mix, divided
16 Flour Tortillas
4 Cups Shredded Cheddar or Monterery Jack Cheese
Desired Toppings (Sour Cream, Guacamole, diced tomatoes, black beans, etc)
Pico de Gallo

Place onion in bottom of slow cooker. Add water and roast. Sprinkle one package of taco seasoning over top of roast.

Cover and cook on High 5 hours. Remove roast and shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and stir in remaining package of taco seasoning. Cover and cook on High for 30 more minutes or until boiling.

Heat tortillas (dampen paper towel and wrap around tortilla--microwave for about 20 seconds) Spoon mixture over tortilla, add cheese and desired toppings, wrap burrito or taco style......and ENJOY!

Pico de Gallo
3 cups diced plum tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red onion
6 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
4 tbsp. diced jalapeno peppers (take out the seeds first!)
1/3 cup lime juice (fresh, not in the scary fake lime)
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Mix everything together. Cover and chill until ready to enjoy!

7 comments:

Pearson Family said...

YIPPEE a recipe belonging to my sweet Parker. I LOVE IT. I can't wait to tell him. I remember you bringing the dinner to us so vividly- neatly assorted in different Ziplock plastic containers with a menu tag and everything. You have such a great kitchen talent and are a great hostess-inspiring. I love your creativity.

Ashley said...

Great idea! I do one similar called crock pot fajitas with a pot roast. Keep posting new men items! I always need new ideas

Jennifer Schroeder said...

that sounds yummy. i think even i could manage to cook it. thanks for sharing the recipe.

also, can you email me the picture of brit and isaac?

Unknown said...

Muchas gracias. You should make a cookbook with all your recipes and serving ideas.

Amy C said...

Yummm. I am in on the cookbook. Fundraiser maybe?

MDM said...

Thanks for the recipe...I am intrigued that you have such variety in cooking...POST MORE!!

Amber Smith said...

Thanks Lynley! We tend to get in a rut sometimes at our house. I would love to look through your cookbook!