Monday, July 24, 2006

Dinner

One time when my mother was a little girl she made a request of her parents. She wanted to have dinner "like the families on TV." This translated into my carpenter grandfather wearing a dress shirt and slacks instead of the usual dirty t-shirt and my teacher grandmother to don her work clothes rather than her comfy housecoat. My mother wanted pearls, ties, and niceties from everyone. To humor her--and because she was an only child--my grandparents ate their supper one night in their finest clothes and pretend to be just like the Cleavers (minus Wally). Although my mom enjoyed the experience she quickly realized that such dining was not as glamorous as TV had portrayed. The next night they went back to undershirts, housecoats, and normal ways.

Fast-forward fifty years. I cook dinner almost every night, partly because I love to cook and partly as a way to be careful with our money. Up until about five months ago, Tobe and I ate every meal at our coffee table in front of the television, making sure we had seen all episodes of Friends at least three times each. Once Isaac was eating baby food in the high chair, we moved dinner into the kitchen and sat at the actual table. I saw enough of those "Family Table" commercials while viewing Nick at Nite during Isaac's nighttime feedings to understand the importance of the family eating together and sharing about their day. I also taught a large number of children who never sat down with their family and ate a meal together. Throughout the course of each school year I would have several times where the class would dine together, whether feasting on a breakfast I brought in or everyone eating their lunch at the reading table (I taught a small class, which made this possible. They were all also under the special education umbrella which made it permissible for me to give them food, something that the state of Texas no longer allows in the regular classroom). While I ate with my students, I was always amazed at how most of them relayed that their family never sat down as a whole and enjoyed a meal together on a somewhat continuous basis.

As a mom and a wife I am determined that we are going to eat a meal together, even if it kills us. I believe it to be an intrical part to having a connected family. Look at cultures and societies that enjoy food and the eating process---their families are quite close. However, the image of the perfect dinner is not quite matching up with chow time at the Phillips. My husband is fortunate enough to be home by 5pm most nights (you don't want to know what time he leaves in the morning to make this possible) and we usually sit down by 5:30pm for supper. By about 5:15pm Isaac sometimes is struggling with being cranky, wanting to crawl in the fridge everytime it opens (though that could be because our kitchen is the hottest room in the house and he just needs to cool off), get into the trash can, or sit outside the kitchen door and say "mamamama" if he has been banished to the living room. We sit down to feast with me sweating from the hot oven, Tobe tired from the commute, and Isaac looking at us ever so slyly before methodically dropping the undesirable food over the side of the highchair. The Cleavers we are not. So I ask you, dear readers, how do you make dinner time an enjoyable experience? Ours is not unenjoyable per say right now, but I am always interested in hearing tips and techniques that others have found helpful to one day (or perhaps tonight!) put in place myself. I know one day the toddler attempting to toss food over the side will turn into the mute teenage who can only manage to grunt in response to our questions. What works (or doesn't work and now you avoid it like a plague) for your family at meal times?

Finally for those who reside in the lovely D/FW area, I do hope you caught a piece of the police chase yesterday (man carjacked an 18 wheeler with the woman driver still at the wheel--the chase went on for hours, all over the area). I enjoy a good police chase and get very excited when we catch one on television (as long as no one is hurt). There are some things I would like to point out about yesterday's particular chase. First of all, did you notice that there were quite a few women on the SWAT team holding onto the back of the Dallas SWAT vehicle? Glad to see that the Dallas PD is doing their part for gender equality (at least they have that going for them--we won't mention the fake drug busts). Also, for those people who left their houses and parked along I-20 and later I-35 to catch a glimpse of this event, I have to ask "Why?" This was no OJ situation. This was an 18 wheeler who they believed could explode from the sparks being sent up from driving on the rims (the front tires were shot out early on in the chase). Why would you leave your air-conditioned house to go stand on a hot overviews simply to wave and yell at a potential bomb as it traveled underneath you? Finally, I am glad that this chase ended peacefully and no one was hurt (including Alison, who lives incredibly close to where part of the chase took place!). I was very impressed with the driver who was taken hostage (also a woman) and her ability to keep the truck going with no tires, the entire Dallas and Fort Worth police departments following her, and a gun to her head. I imagine she has never been so thankful to crawl into her own bed as she was last night.

8 comments:

TTidmore said...

Lynley,

I wish I had some great tips for dinner time, but I don't. I do understand where you are coming from though. Here is how it usually goes for us. Our kitchen is also very warm, so we start off hot and cranky. We fix Anna's plate first and sit her down while we prepare our plates. By the time we sit down Anna is finished with her 3 bites and is ready to get down. We spend the next 10 minutes encouraging her to stay in her seat and eat. We eventually get frustrated, let her down, and she begs us to go play. Despite this we are convinced (as you are) that this is important, that we will continue to do it, and that it will get easier (we hope).

P.S. What is up with Leigh Ann and Brad? I haven't seen or heard from them in a long time.

Alison said...

Thanks for your concern, Lynley. Didn't you see me on the side of I-20 holding the sign that said "Keep on truckin"? Just kidding, we actually had no knowledge of the event until I talked to Katie at 7:30pm. We had been at church since 5:00!

Our dinner time sounds much like the Tidmores. Morgan throws up her hands and says "all done" after 5 minutes. We prolong it by offering her food from our plates, which she considers to be more special than her own (though it's the same food). Like Taylor, we are hoping it gets better!

Phillips Family said...

Taylor--Leigh Ann and Brad are are expecting their first child (a boy) in November! Check out Alison's blog for a picture of pregnant Leigh Ann!

Alison--I thought I recognized your handwriting on one of those signs!

Pearson Family said...

I SO remember this time. We aren't quite there yet with Emaline. With Parker, we always set him with us at the table. We have always eaten at the table ( I also enjoy cooking). Our biggest concern was keeping Parker with us at the table, even if it involved a toy of some kind. When we go out to eat we don't let Parker get down until we are all finished if we can help it. We discussed this early with family because they want to help so badly that if Parker threw a fit, they always wanted to take him outside. We didn't allow it. He knew he had to stay at the table with us. Even with Emaline...we sit her in the high chair as long as she will stand it, and then we hold her at the table. Family time is so important. As far as the heat, try serving an all chilled dinner, from salads to soups. That may help cope from the heat exhaustion. I love your posts. So deep.

Unknown said...

We eat dinner at home almost every night too, but I don't always enjoy cooking! About six months ago,we started doing a "favorite part of the day" question. The kids love it and everyone is forced to come up with a best part of the day-even if it's been a hard one. It has turned into a great tool for Matthew to really start talking about his whole day, which I think will help as we transition to public school. I'm hoping this turns into a lifelong tradition so that it keeps my mute teenage boys talking, even if all I get is a one word answer! You guys are doing so great with Isaac. I love to hear families enduring frustrating times to make good memories and develop great relationships with their kids. I've been reading a Dr. Dobson book... can you tell???

Shanta said...

Lynley- you are so fun. I loved this post. I too love to cook, and I treat it as a game to see how many vegetables and fruit I can get into my husband's diet for the day, because Lord knows he sat at his desk and made an entire meal out of pretzel twists or something.

I like presentation. Dinner may stink, but by golly it will look good. I get the sweet end of this deal, because I cook and Ken does dishes, so it's ok that I use serving dishes from time to time in addition to whatever I cooked it in. I also like to get fun placemats. I am so lame.

I applaud dinnertime together at the Phillips, and I'm sure it will have a lasting positive impact on Isaac. You're a great mom. And hey- the invite to the Murrays' for dinner is stil open!

Unknown said...

Mealtimes are quite adventurous for us, too. Shane typically comes home for both lunch and dinner, so we try to be consistent and sit at the table for each meal. Elizabeth typically eats her food while I'm cooking, and then when it's time for me and Shane to eat, we turn her high chair around to join us at the table and she sits there while we eat. She's usually content if she has some remnants of food left or if we give her something like cheerios, peas, or blueberries that she can munch on throughout the meal. As long as she is occupied, mealtime is great. We are FINALLY out of the stage where she drops the food on the floor, a phase which lasted for about 3 months and we are SO thankful is finally over!! Good luck with the family meal time. I, too, think it's a good thing.

Amy C said...

Just thought I would let you know you have inspired even me to cook dinner. I put a roast in the crock pot this morning. I even planned the rest of the week. Thanks for the inspiration.