Sunday, July 09, 2006

Fiesta de Phillips

We celebrated a birthday this weekend at casa de Phillips. I already had a birthday in April and Isaac's isn't until next month, so I will let you figure out who turned the big 3-1 this weekend. Fiesta was our theme and we feasted on burritos, queso, chipotle rice, homemade cinnamon ice cream, and brownie cake. Fun times.

In the morning, Isaac and I are off to Arkansas for a few days to visit the family. We are flying because the idea of driving by myself in the car six hours with an 11 month old makes me want to find the nearest bottle of Prozac and something of the adult variety to wash it down with. Besides, with gas prices they way they are we can fly cheaper than we can drive anymore. In very un-Lynley like nature, I have waited until the last minute to pack and complete my travel planning. I think I only have about one "To-Do" list going right now, whereas I typically have about five or six lists I am working off of at one time. I just got off the phone with my friendly Southwest Airlines customer service representative after basically begging if they would have someone transport Isaac's carseat to the plane so I don't have to lug him, a diaper bag, and a carseat through the airport. The representative wasn't too promising that this would happen (although she was quite friendly). She encouraged me to bring the stroller as well and use that to tote the baby, carrier, and diaper bag. I hesitate to bring the stroller because when Isaac and I flew to Arkansas in November by ourselves, the security person made me fold up the stroller and put it through the x-ray machine, while I was holding the baby. (Sounds simple, but try it sometime.) Now I know most terrorists are pale, red-hair young moms toting babies so thus the reason they felt compelled to carefully check out my Graco stroller for hidden bombs.

Isaac and I are excited about the family, friends, and fun that await us in Arkansas. Now I must finish my packing so that I can eat some cinnamon ice cream before bed.


Isaac playing blocks at the coffee table
Fiesta!
Tobe's brownie cake was decorated to resemble the Mexican flag. I don't think anybody got quite the laugh out of this like I did. I kept giggling to myself the entire time I frosted it on Friday.
Happy Birthday, Tobe!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

And nobody helped you in the airport?!! Elizabeth and I have flown 3 times together and usually people are so helpful since I don't have more than 2 arms to maneuver all the gear. They'll even help me with the stroller, once they figure out how to fold it up! I've had to set Elizabeth on the floor before, or leave her in the car seat until the stroller is on the machine and then unload her from the car seat. It is a hassle, and you're right, every time I've flown I've had to put that thing on the X-ray machine. What a pain! Good luck and have fun in Searcy. Tell Jan hello and happy birthday to Tobe!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Tobe!

You are right, flying by yourself it a hassle and the stroller situation is a nightmare. Sometimes they will let a family member accompany you to the gate for special circumstances. One of our friends has always been able to let her husband help her through.

Look at you and the Martha Stewart Fiesta party. I am so impressed!

1literatimommy said...

what a great fiesta! That cake looks great. Good luck flying with Isaac. I hope it goes smoothly.

Unknown said...

Happy Birtday Tobe

Pearson Family said...

That stroller thing happened to me too! The first time I was so embarrassed. I was with my inlaws who gladly took the baby and I was stuck folding the stroller down, which was okay, except I got so nervous because Shawn Bradley (the ex-Dallas Maverick) and his family were about 10 feet behind me and I was TOTALLY holding up the line. I am not a fan of Shawn, but still was a little star struck because he is like 10 feet tall or something. I hope your flight went well.

Amy C said...

Brave girl. Hope all went well. I love the fiesta party. I also love the blog that Isaac did while you were at the movies several weeks back. I think he has a blogging future!

Unknown said...

Your brownie cake is adorable! I hope you have a great time in AK- we got to see Mrs. K up here last week and she looked FANTASTIC! What a gift it was to sit and chat with her after all she's been through.

Shanta said...

Happy Birthday Tobe! Very cool cake my friend. I love how you go out of your way to make it all so special. Tobe- did you hear that?Good wife!