Sunday, July 16, 2006

Home Again, Home Again....Jiggity Jig

Isaac and I have rejoined the Lone Star State yet again after a week visiting my family in Arkansas. The flight to Little Rock was uneventful and several helpful people offered assistance when needed. This time I did not have to deal with an 18 year old TSA agent who refused to help me with the stroller, but rather meet a friendly mother-type employee who made the nearest man fold up the stroller and hoist it onto the conveyor belt. I realized that I had been a bit dramatic about flying solo with a baby when I encountered another mother flying with an infant and a two year old by herself. Isaac did great on the flight, forgoing sleep in order to get in some quality play time. He did keep asking to get down (his new word) and couldn't comprehend all the dangers of an 11 1/2 month old might encounter on the floor of an aircraft. Despite the insistence to be left to wonder on his own, Isaac did great on the flight and was happy passenger the entire time.

The week was spent with lots of Janna and PopPop time. Isaac remembered my mom but was unfamiliar with my dad at first because he hadn't seen him since March. They quickly became friends, especially since my dad was the only one who would rapidly push Isaac in the walker (AKA Death Trap) through the house at high speeds. Around Tuesday Isaac came down with a cold, complete with runny nose and cough. Despite the constant need to have his nose wiped, he remained a happy baby. One morning my mom and I stopped by some friends' house and Isaac was able to have his first up-close encounter with a dog. This was a lap dog of some sort who is quite used to being around the family's grandchildren. Isaac would chase the dog and then the dog would chase him, each time resulting in the dog licking Isaac's face to death and Isaac squealing in total glee.

Isaac was able to hang-out with all my grandparents. He totally loved having a variety of people "oh and ah" over him each day. I am sure tomorrow he is going to wonder where his fan club disappeared to. I enjoyed being able to take a break and share the daily duties of child-rearing with my mom. One morning I did the unthinkable and soaked in the tub for over an hour while my parents fed Isaac and put him down for his morning nap. One thing that Isaac has started doing is telling everyone "hi". He does not say a simple little baby "hi." Rather he has decided that most individuals are hearing-impaired and he must yell "HIIIIIIIIIIIIII" at them. Most people don't realize that Isaac is speaking to them, so they simply ignore his friendly cry. This does not deter Isaac from expressing his greeting. He will continue to tell the person "HIIIIIIIIIII" until he is acknowledge or until his mother covers his mouth and attempts to distract him.

I always enjoy spending time in my hometown. Some of the small town feel is starting to disappear as more aspects of the "big city" seep into its borders (Chilis is set to break ground soon---which is crazy to me because I can remember when we first got McDonalds). I like the convince of city life and how Target, MiCocina, and AMC theaters are all within five miles of my house. However, I do miss small town America where I can go to Colony Shop and put a new pair of jeans on my parents account without ever having to show any ID or being able to see an array of old friends just by shopping at the local Wal-Mart. The best part of my whole trip was discovering the local news--not out of Little Rock but broadcast from my hometown! It was a train wreck and I haven't stopped talking about it to Tobe. Seriously, it was equivalent--if not worse--than a high school news program.

Saturday morning we ended our mini-vacation and returned home. The flight home was not great by any standards. Isaac had enough of being in a car seat by about minute 7 of the 5o minute flight. I could feel the passengers sitting near me glaring holes of hatred into the back of my head. Once the plane landed and it was time to deboard, two men stopped at my seat and asked what they needed to do to help Isaac and me get off the plane. I would like to think it was out of kindness, but I know in my heart they were just wanting to get rid of us as quickly as possible.

Isaac and I were both terribly glad to meet up with Tobe at baggage claim. We arrived home to a spotless house, vacuumed floors, lunch and dinner plans already made, and time allotted for me to take a nap. What a great husband!

Today we are unpacked and settled back into our routine. Isaac still has the cough and runny nose, which hopefully will clear up now that we are out of the Arkansas humidity. Isaac has resumed his mission of roaming the house, looking for any open doors or unlocked cabinets that he can quickly get into before Tobe or I catch him. We are starting to reconsider the notion that teaching him to crawl was a good thing.

Here are a few snapshots from the previous week. Enjoy!


Riding in the Golf Cart with Janna and PopPop
(what this picture doesn't show is that I also climbed into the golf cart as well once I snapped this shot. Imagine three adults crammed into one tiny seat....don't know if my poor bottom will ever be the same)

Naked baby attempting to escape bath time




Playing outside with Janna on his new swingset

When in Rome.........this is Isaac sporting his Mark Martin NASCAR romper. My dad and a friend went to a NASCAR race up north in the spring. If you know my dad, you know how amusing it is that he is now into NASCAR. He doesn't fit the profile at all. Anyway, he purchased this outfit for Isaac and I figured there is no better time to wear baby NASCAR apparel than in Arkansas.

Back of the NASCAR romper

Chillin' like Bob Dylan

Hanging out with PopPop at his office

7 comments:

Amy C said...

Looks like you guys had a great time back home. It is so fun to get to relax and share the parenting with some Grand Parents! What a blessing. I look forward to see the changes in the Philip's family blog as you are now mobile!

Ashley said...

I love the Nascar romper! What great family time! Welcome back to the Lone Star State!

Pearson Family said...

Oh how I love to go home. Looks like you had a great time. I used to charge gas to my dad at the FM195 Exxon. Don't you just love small towns!

amerriman said...

I am glad you had a good time. It is always fun going home and letting mom take care of you.

Unknown said...

Did Isaac get to listen to anyone's heart with PopPop?

Margaret K said...

Wow, Isaac is growing up so fast. What a cutie! Glad you had a safe and happy visit.

Phillips Family said...

Isaac did not get to tend to any patients. However, one night while we were dining out, Isaac did get to walk around with the waitress (we knew her) and serve people.