Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

I have mentioned my world-famous (okay...casa famous) pumpkin cinnamon rolls a few times here at savethephillipsfamily. Today I am sharing the recipe. Beware...these are not figure-friendly.


Pumpkin Patch Cinnamon Rolls with Gooey Cinnamon Icing


Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
½ cup warm water
4 eggs
1 cup shortening
1 cup canned PUMPKIN
1 cup warm milk
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding
1/3 cup instant butterscotch pudding
1 teaspoon salt
7 to 8 cups flour

Filling:
¼ cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons sugar


Directions:
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast into hot water. Allow to sit for about ten minutes. Add the eggs, shortening, pumpkin, milk, sugars, pudding mixes, salt, and 6 cups flour. Beat using dough hook until smooth. Stir in enough flour (approximately one more cup) until a soft, sticky dough is formed.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead for about five minutes, until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let sit for one hour or until doubled in size.

Punch dough down. Divide into two parts. Roll each portion out into a 12x8 inch rectangle. Brush with butter. Combine brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon and then sprinkle over dough.

Roll dough up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. Place into 13x9 inch greased baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 22-27 minutes or until golden brown. Spread icing over rolls. Serve warm.
*For the icing, I simply mix some powdered sugar, some evaporated milk, a dash of vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon together until it tastes good. Sorry there is no exact science to my icing recipe!

6 comments:

Shanta said...

You had me at "one cup shortening."

Elasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elasha said...

Ok, I think I got a little ahead of myself with my last comment because I was excited because I have heard you talk about these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and I WANTED the recipe soooo bad. So, after searching and searching the interwebs, I found one that sounded good....and when I read yours, it is the same one. That makes me soooo happy, because they look AWESOME!

Oh, and can I steal your commentary about people leaving comments??? That is awesome! I will give you credit!

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! recipe, they look awesome!
Geri

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks yummy!! I have been feature pumpkin recipes on my blog this week. This never came to mind. Can't wait to try them!!!

Jordan said...

Okay, I'm officially attempting these delights on Monday. Just to be clear: it makes two 9x13 pans, right?

I cannot wait!!