Thursday, March 12, 2009

Can You Tell Me How to Get...

One knows the economy is bad when Sesame Street begins laying off people.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/11/l-is-for-layoff/

As mentioned before, we are huge fans of Sesame Street and of the Sesame Workshop. They have made incredible strides in the arena of children's programming around the world. In fact, I plan to read this book over the summer because I am fascinated by the stories behind the creation of Sesame Street.

Perhaps we should have purchased the $10 balloon a few weeks ago. It might have helped save a few more jobs.

Several online articles have addressed this particular layoff, in part because of the angle of Sesame Street being hit by the recession and in part to joke about what career options Big Bird really has after his stint is done on the Street. My favorite article about this topic ended with this genius sentence:

"This story was brought to you by the letters S, A, and D."

Hard economic times, my friend.

<<>>
Speaking of hard economic times, don't forget the diaper giveaway ends tonight! Leave a comment here to have a chance at winning!

4 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

I heard this on the radio this morning, and oh, I just felt so bad when they started making jokes about it!

Amy said...

I can't tell you how many times I've read/heard the question, "Did Big Bird get the axe?" It really does hit home how far-reaching this is when a long-running children's TV show is affected.

Ashley said...

This breaks my heart! I love Sesame Street. Seriously, our economy totally depresses me. Can they be part of the bailout?

Kelly said...

We love all things Sesame around here. That is bummer news. I'd love to hear if the book is good, that sounds like one I might want to add to my list. I love behind the scenes kind of stuff.