Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ringing in the New Year

The holidays are really throwing Isaac off. He knows the past week or so has been a bit wonky, with Tobe being off work at odd times and with all the presents and visits from jolly old men in red suits (I guess that should be "man" as only one Santa visited our little home). As we drove to the kiddie salon for pre-wedding trims (another post all to itself) Isaac inquired as to why this day was a silly holiday-day.

Have you ever attempted to explain the changing of the year to a three year old who still doesn't quite grasp the concept of how the day hasn't changed during naptime (he thinks sleep = change of day)?

Someone should distribute some sort of CD to be kept in the car to answer all those tough questions that come from kids mouths when driving to and fro.

Today it was about how, why, when, and where the year changes. Yesterday's question centered around how the sun goes up and down. Sheesh. After attempting to present a quick summary of the earth's rotation to a three year old (and a 19 month old who was listening intently and who will likely spout this information back to me in the near future), I finally relied on the standard, "Because that is how God made it."

Parent of the Year Award, here I come.

And, yes, I used to teach in the public school system.

Anyway, the year magically changes over tonight when the clock hits 12:00. It is a bit mind-blowing to know that one year suddenly becomes another in a matter of a second. To mark this significant change in time/date/place, here is a look back at a few things that happened at savethephillipsfamily in 2008:

* My grandmother was inducted into the Hall of Honors for Teachers in her local school district. I had the honor of giving her induction speech. I managed to have a good hair day and not trip up the stairs on the way to the microphone....not a small feat, my friends. Read more about her here.

* No, the children are not twins.

* New Moms everywhere find this post in search of some sleep answers, some support, and some sanity.

* An explanation about our name was provided.

* We were blessed with a one year old in casa de phillips.

* I realized I was turning into my own mother.

* We went grocery shopping.

* I completed a bit of a project.

* Apparently my husband knows my password for Blogger.

* Some Q&A took place.

* The battle began (and rages on...yesterday it was over not being able to wear "my pre-ty shoe" which happen to be a size too big.)

* A Merry Christmas was had by all.

Thanks for taking time out of your life to swing by savethephillipsfamily during this past year. I do appreciate each and every comment given in regards to my commentary about everyday life.

See you in 2009!

2 comments:

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Hope you guys have a wonderful New Years.

Sydni said...

Cute. Happy New Year!